Old 12-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Johan Scheepers

Default centos 5.5 x86_64 - mplayer install problems

good day,

I have tried to install mplayer according to instructions from the
following sites..:

http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/RPMForge

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/MultimediaOnCentOS

Then last..:

[root@johan ~]# yum install libdvdcss libdvdread libdvdplay libdvdnav
lsdvd mplayerplug-in mplayer mplayer-gui compat-libstdc++-33
flash-plugin gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-ugly
gstreamer-ffmpeg libquicktime

After a lot of stuff ended up like this..:

--> Processing Dependency: libdvdread.so.3()(64bit) for package: lsdvd
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
lsdvd-0.16-2.el5.rf.x86_64 from rpmforge has depsolving problems
--> Missing Dependency: libdvdread.so.3()(64bit) is needed by package
lsdvd-0.16-2.el5.rf.x86_64 (rpmforge)
gstreamer-plugins-ugly-0.10.11-2.el5.rf.x86_64 from rpmforge has
depsolving problems
--> Missing Dependency: libdvdread.so.3()(64bit) is needed by package
gstreamer-plugins-ugly-0.10.11-2.el5.rf.x86_64 (rpmforge)
Error: Missing Dependency: libdvdread.so.3()(64bit) is needed by package
gstreamer-plugins-ugly-0.10.11-2.el5.rf.x86_64 (rpmforge)
Error: Missing Dependency: libdvdread.so.3()(64bit) is needed by package
lsdvd-0.16-2.el5.rf.x86_64 (rpmforge)
You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
package-cleanup --dupes
rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

All went well up to the above.
Now I am stumped.
Kindly some advice please. I am still learning as I go along.
Thanks
Johan

Old 12-16-2010, 02:43 PM

> [root@johan ~]# yum install libdvdcss libdvdread libdvdplay libdvdnav
> lsdvd mplayerplug-in mplayer mplayer-gui compat-libstdc++-33
> flash-plugin gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-ugly
> gstreamer-ffmpeg libquicktime

IIRC the gstreamer-plugins-* are not dependencies of mplayer. Leave them out
and then install them after mplayer+deps.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

Johan Scheepers wrote:
> good day,
>
> I have tried to install mplayer according to instructions from the
> following sites..:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/RPMForge
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/MultimediaOnCentOS
>
> Then last..:
>
> [root@johan ~]# yum install libdvdcss libdvdread libdvdplay libdvdnav
> lsdvd mplayerplug-in mplayer mplayer-gui compat-libstdc++-33
> flash-plugin gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-ugly
> gstreamer-ffmpeg libquicktime

yum resolves deps for you. If you want to install mplayer just try:
yum install mplayer-gui

Old 12-16-2010, 03:53 PM
Keith Roberts

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:

> From: Nicolas Thierry-Mieg <Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg@imag.fr>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] centos 5.5 x86_64 - mplayer install problems
>
> Johan Scheepers wrote:
>> good day,
>>
>> I have tried to install mplayer according to instructions from the
>> following sites..:
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/RPMForge
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/MultimediaOnCentOS
>>
>> Then last..:
>>
>> [root@johan ~]# yum install libdvdcss libdvdread libdvdplay libdvdnav
>> lsdvd mplayerplug-in mplayer mplayer-gui compat-libstdc++-33
>> flash-plugin gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-ugly
>> gstreamer-ffmpeg libquicktime
>
> yum resolves deps for you. If you want to install mplayer just try:
> yum install mplayer-gui

I find smplayer is more stable than the mplayer-gui, which
is a little bit odd, as it's a third party app, whereas
mplayer-gui is from the developers of mplayer itself.

Kind Regards,

Keith

in practice they are not.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:26 PM
John Doe

From: Keith Roberts <keith@karsites.net>

> I find smplayer is more stable than the mplayer-gui, which
> is a little bit odd, as it's a third party app, whereas
> mplayer-gui is from the developers of mplayer itself.

I think I remember reading on their mailing list that smplayer was now the
"official" (maintained) player...

JD

Old 12-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Keith Roberts

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010, John Doe wrote:

> From: John Doe <jdmls@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] centos 5.5 x86_64 - mplayer install problems
>
> From: Keith Roberts <keith@karsites.net>
>
>> I find smplayer is more stable than the mplayer-gui, which
>> is a little bit odd, as it's a third party app, whereas
>> mplayer-gui is from the developers of mplayer itself.
>
> I think I remember reading on their mailing list that smplayer was now the
> "official" (maintained) player...
>
> JD

I've not heard anything about that JD - all I know is that
it works very well.

Keith

in practice they are not.