Old 12-16-2010, 02:08 PM
Keith Roberts

Default Building packages using RPMBUILD

I have been following the MaximumRPM guide from here:

http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm-snapshot/index.html

and it seems a bit dated, but still very good (if fact the
best all round documentation I have found so far) on using
RPM package manager, and how to build rpm packages.

The guide tells me to use the original paths, yet Centos
wiki says otherwise.

[rpmbuilder@karsites sox]$ rpm -iv ./sox-12.18.1-1.src.rpm
error: cannot write to %sourcedir /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES

Is there a package I need to install and run to set
things up corectly?

I have created a user called 'rpmbuilder' under my home dir,
and created the rpmbuild dirs under that.

So what build dir shall I go for?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

in practice they are not.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Keith Roberts

Moved from a previous thread

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010, John Hodrien wrote:

> From: John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien@leeds.ac.uk>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Stripping silent periods from MP3s
>
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2010, Keith Roberts wrote:
>
>> Thanks for all the responses!
>>
>> I've read MaximumRPM from:
>>
>> http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm-snapshot/index.html
>>
>> Which helped me a great deal.
>>
>> I'll start a new thread regarding using RPM to build
>> packages.
>
> You'll find MaximumRPM will have taught you a whole lot
> you didn't need to know (not that this is a bad thing).
> In this case, it really should have been a case of:
>
> yum install lame
> wget src.rpm
> rpmbuild --rebuild src.rpm
> rpm -Uvh --force shiny-new-binary.rpm
>
> No twiddling with the spec file was required, as it
> already auto-detected the presence of lame.
>
> jh

Thanks for that John.

I read MaxRPM once before, so just going over the build part
again. I want to be able to build my own Linux/Centos RPM's,
and then post them on my website. May even make a 3rd party
repo. I obviously know the ./configure, make, make install
and autoconf and automake stuff, so doing RPM's and a repo
should not be that difficult to work out.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

in practice they are not.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Keith Roberts

sox-12.18.1-1.src.rpm
[root@karsites sox]#
[root@karsites sox]# rpm -iv sox-12.18.1-1.src.rpm
sox-12.18.1-1
warning: user mockbuild does not exist - using root
warning: group mockbuild does not exist - using root

What's that all about - user mockbuild?

Is that a user created by one of the rpm builder scripts?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

in practice they are not.