Old 12-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Marko Vojinovic

Default Remote firefox configuration

Hi everyone! :-)

I need to change some firefox configuration settings on a remote machine
(running an up-to-date CentOS 5), using nothing but ssh for access (ie. no ssh
-X or such, the link is too slow).

The setting that I need to reconfigure is the one about what to open on startup
--- in a GUI it is reached as

Edit -> Preferences -> General tab -> "When Firefox starts".

It should be changed from "show my windows and tabs from last time" to "show a
blank page".

Can anyone point me to a config file which should be modified? :-)

The whole problem appeared when the user managed to open
more-than-a-reasonable-number of tabs (around a hundred or so, I guess), so
now when he starts Firefox it opens and freezes completely due to the load,
lack of memory or whatever. The main window is completely unresponsive,
nothing happens when he clicks on the "edit" menu to get to preferences (the
menu does not open at all). Nothing even happens if he tries to close a tab,
or even the whole program. The only thing that works is "killall firefox" from
the terminal.

So I guess the above option would reset Firefox to a sane state, but I need to
reconfigure it manually (and remotely :-( ), in the config file, while firefox is
not running.

I am open to any suggestions. :-)

Thanks! :-)
Marko

Old 12-16-2010, 01:25 PM
John Hodrien

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> I am open to any suggestions. :-)

I suggest you simply modified the user's prefs.js in their profile in
~/.mozilla.

// 0 = blank, 1 = home (browser.startup.homepage), 2 = last visited page, 3 = resume previous browser session
// The behavior of option 3 is detailed at: http://wiki.mozilla.org/Session_Restore
pref("browser.startup.page", 0);

jh

Old 12-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Thursday 16 December 2010 14:25:42 John Hodrien wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2010, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > I am open to any suggestions. :-)
>
> I suggest you simply modified the user's prefs.js in their profile in
> ~/.mozilla.
>
> // 0 = blank, 1 = home (browser.startup.homepage), 2 = last visited page, 3
> = resume previous browser session // The behavior of option 3 is detailed
> at: http://wiki.mozilla.org/Session_Restore pref("browser.startup.page",
> 0);

That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

Best, :-)
Marko