-   -   OT: best ext3/2 file recovery tool? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/466181-ot-best-ext3-2-file-recovery-tool.html)

Eero Volotinen 12-15-2010 08:05 PM

OT: best ext3/2 file recovery tool?

Hi,

What is the best tool for recovering files on really corrupted ext
filesystem? I already tried photorec, but are there any better
solutions available? (commercial software ?)

--
Eero

fred smith 12-15-2010 08:31 PM

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 11:05:30PM +0200, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the best tool for recovering files on really corrupted ext
> filesystem? I already tried photorec, but are there any better
> solutions available? (commercial software ?)

I found one last winter by googlinh. when I get home I will try
to look up the name and URL and post it here.

It appears to be a company in India. it was, I think, $49 US. I used
it to recover an ext3 or ext4 partition that I had stupidly run a mkfs
on top of. DUH. couple hundred gigabytes of mostly video files.

it found tons of files, AFAIK all the important ones. The tool itself
is kind of flaky and not fully intuitive, and their support desk does
not reply to emails. But I figured it out and got what I needed.

btw they have both windows and linux binaries, both of which, as I
understoodit, could recovery linux drives. I had the linux binary, so
it's entirely possible that the windows binary lacks some of the flakiness
I found, though I don'tKNOW that.

I can do all things through Christ
who strengthens me.

Ryan Wagoner 12-15-2010 08:41 PM

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@iki.fi> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the best tool for recovering files on really corrupted ext
> filesystem? I already tried photorec, but are there any better
> solutions available? (commercial software ?)

I haven't used it, but I would have a look at ext3undel

http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/141074

and the project page

http://freshmeat.net/projects/ext3undel

Ryan

Timo Schoeler 12-15-2010 08:43 PM

On 12/15/2010 10:05 PM, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the best tool for recovering files on really corrupted ext
> filesystem? I already tried photorec, but are there any better
> solutions available? (commercial software ?)

Hi,

maybe CAINE

http://www.caine-live.net/

is worth a look...?

> --
> Eero

Timo

Keith Roberts 12-15-2010 08:56 PM

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010, Eero Volotinen wrote:

> From: Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@iki.fi>
> Subject: [CentOS] OT: best ext3/2 file recovery tool?
>
> Hi,
>
> What is the best tool for recovering files on really corrupted ext
> filesystem? I already tried photorec, but are there any better
> solutions available? (commercial software ?)

I've heard good reports about this, but never had to try it
myself.

http://recovery-review.com/unformat-tools/testdisk.html

HTH

Kind Regards,