Old 12-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Lanny Marcus

Default Google Picasa / GNOME / how to launch application?

I had installed Picasa,apparently properly, but am unable to launch
the application. In the GNOME Desktop menu, Applications > Graphics >
Picasa > Picasa it does not launch. Reinstalled it and the same issue.

Reinstalling:
picasa i386 2.7.3736-15 google

It is installed in /opt/picasa

Box is CentOS 5.5 (32 bit) fully updated.

How can I get this app to launch from the GNOME Menu, or, what file do
I need to use, and where is that file, to make an Icon for Picasa on
the GNOME Desktop?

TIA!
Lanny
http://www.magazines-magazine.com/

Old 12-16-2010, 03:41 AM
Dejan

> I had installed Picasa,apparently properly, but am unable to launch
> the application. In the GNOME Desktop menu, Applications > Graphics >
> Picasa > Picasa it does not launch. Reinstalled it and the same issue.
>
> Reinstalling:
> *picasa * * * * * i386 * * * * * 2.7.3736-15 * * * * * * google
>
> It is installed in /opt/picasa
>
> Box is CentOS 5.5 (32 bit) fully updated.
>
> How can I get this app to launch from the GNOME Menu, or, what file do
> I need to use, and where is that file, to make an Icon for Picasa on
> the GNOME *Desktop?

I had a similar issue with Picasa on my Fedora 14 laptop. The solution
was to download the latest Picasa version for Windows and run it under
Wine.

--dejan

Old 12-16-2010, 08:25 AM
Sven Aluoor

> I had installed Picasa,apparently properly, but am unable to launch
> the application. In the GNOME Desktop menu, Applications > Graphics >
> Picasa > Picasa it does not launch. Reinstalled it and the same issue.
>
> Reinstalling:
> *picasa * * * * * i386 * * * * * 2.7.3736-15 * * * * * * google
>
> It is installed in /opt/picasa
>
> Box is CentOS 5.5 (32 bit) fully updated.
>
> How can I get this app to launch from the GNOME Menu, or, what file do
> I need to use, and where is that file, to make an Icon for Picasa on
> the GNOME *Desktop?

Hi Lanny

please execute the wrapper /opt/picasa/bin/picasa in Terminal and send
the output (errors).

cheers Sven

Old 12-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Lanny Marcus

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 4:25 AM, Sven Aluoor <aluoor@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I had installed Picasa,apparently properly, but am unable to launch
>> the application. In the GNOME Desktop menu, Applications > Graphics >
>> Picasa > Picasa it does not launch. Reinstalled it and the same issue.
<snip>
> please execute the wrapper /opt/picasa/bin/picasa in Terminal and send
> the output (errors).

Sven: I'm not sure if I did this properly. Am posting everything
below. Thank you for your time and help! Lanny

[lanny@dell1602 picasa]$ ls
bin desktop GPLV2 LGPLV2 lib LICENSE.FOSS README wine
[lanny@dell1602 picasa]$ cd bin
[lanny@dell1602 bin]$ ls
common.sh mediadetector setpicasascreensaver xdg-utils-1.0.2
fontinstall.sh picasa showpicasascreensaver
icons picasafontcfg wrapper
killpicasa repackage32.sh xdg-user-dirs-0.8
[lanny@dell1602 bin]$ picasa
/usr/bin/picasa: line 139: 3648 Segmentation fault
"$PIC_BINDIR"/wrapper check_dir.exe.so
/usr/bin/picasa: line 175: 3743 Segmentation fault
"$PIC_BINDIR/wrapper" regedit /E $registry_export
HKEY_USERSS-1-5-4SoftwareGooglePicasaPicasa2Preferences
[lanny@dell1602 bin]$

if I try to execute wrapper for Picasa, I get a command not found:

[lanny@dell1602 bin]$ wrapper
bash: wrapper: command not found

Old 12-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Lanny Marcus

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 11:41 PM, Dejan <centos@bektchiev.net> wrote:
>> I had installed Picasa,apparently properly, but am unable to launch
>> the application. In the GNOME Desktop menu, Applications > Graphics >
>> Picasa > Picasa it does not launch. Reinstalled it and the same issue.
<snip>
> I had a similar issue with Picasa on my Fedora 14 laptop. The solution
> was to download the latest Picasa version for Windows and run it under
> Wine.

Dejan: Thank you for replying. I believe Google installs a small
version of Wine, with their Linux download. If I can't get this
version to work properly, I will look into installing the full version
of Wine and installing the latest Picasa version for Windows, as you
did. Lanny

Old 12-17-2010, 10:08 AM
"B.J. McClure"

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 06:02 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 11:41 PM, Dejan <centos@bektchiev.net> wrote:
>> I had installed Picasa,apparently properly, but am unable to launch
>> the application. In the GNOME Desktop menu, Applications > Graphics >
>> Picasa > Picasa it does not launch. Reinstalled it and the same issue.
<snip>
> I had a similar issue with Picasa on my Fedora 14 laptop. The solution
> was to download the latest Picasa version for Windows and run it under
> Wine.

Fwiw, I am running Picasa 3 beta on two CentOS 5.5 32 bit machines without known issue.* Ymmv.

Cheers,

B.J.

Fri Dec 17 06:05:49 EST 2010, CentOS 5.5, Linux 2.6.18-194.26.1.el5 athlon

Old 12-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Lanny Marcus

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 6:08 AM, B.J. McClure <keepertoad@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 06:02 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 11:41 PM, Dejan <centos@bektchiev.net> wrote:
> >> I had installed Picasa,apparently properly, but am unable to launch
> >> the application. In the GNOME Desktop menu, Applications > Graphics >
> >> Picasa > Picasa it does not launch. Reinstalled it and the same issue.
> <snip>
> > I had a similar issue with Picasa on my Fedora 14 laptop. The solution
> > was to download the latest Picasa version for Windows and run it under
> > Wine.
>
> Fwiw, I am running Picasa 3 beta on two CentOS 5.5 32 bit machines without known issue.* Ymmv.

B.J. I installed with yum from the google repository. Yum said it's
the latest version, but obviously it's not, if you are on 3.x... Lanny

Old 12-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Lanny Marcus

> I had installed Picasa,apparently properly, but am unable to launch
> the application. In the GNOME Desktop menu, Applications > Graphics >
> Picasa > Picasa it does not launch. Reinstalled it and the same issue.
>
> Reinstalling:
> *picasa * * * * * i386 * * * * * 2.7.3736-15 * * * * * * google
<snip>
On http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux it
looks like this is a general problem, so possibly uninstalling the
Picasa I got from the Google Repository and then installing Wine and
then installing the latest version of Picasa for M$ Windows is the way
to go.

On http://picasa.google.com/linux/faq.html#6 they show you can launch
Picasa, with the below command, but no joy with that on my box:

[lanny@dell1602 ~]$ /opt/picasa/bin/picasa
/opt/picasa/bin/picasa: line 139: 4833 Segmentation fault
"$PIC_BINDIR"/wrapper check_dir.exe.so
/opt/picasa/bin/picasa: line 175: 4928 Segmentation fault

Old 12-17-2010, 10:57 AM
"B.J. McClure"

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 06:49 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 6:08 AM, B.J. McClure <keepertoad@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > I had a similar issue with Picasa on my Fedora 14 laptop. The solution
> > > was to download the latest Picasa version for Windows and run it under
> > > Wine.
> >
> > Fwiw, I am running Picasa 3 beta on two CentOS 5.5 32 bit machines without known issue. Ymmv.
>
> B.J. I installed with yum from the google repository. Yum said it's
> the latest version, but obviously it's not, if you are on 3.x... Lanny
>
> Reinstalling:
> picasa i386 2.7.3736-15 google

I downloaded and installed from here:

http://picasa.google.com/linux/

HTH.

B.J.

Fri Dec 17 06:55:08 EST 2010, CentOS 5.5, Linux 2.6.18-194.26.1.el5
athlon

Old 12-17-2010, 11:04 AM
"B.J. McClure"

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 06:49 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 6:08 AM, B.J. McClure <keepertoad@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > I had a similar issue with Picasa on my Fedora 14 laptop. The solution
> > > was to download the latest Picasa version for Windows and run it under
> > > Wine.
> >
> > Fwiw, I am running Picasa 3 beta on two CentOS 5.5 32 bit machines without known issue. Ymmv.
>
> B.J. I installed with yum from the google repository. Yum said it's
> the latest version, but obviously it's not, if you are on 3.x... Lanny
>
> Reinstalling:
> picasa i386 2.7.3736-15 google

Here is the version:

[bmcclure@house ~]$ rpm -q picasa
picasa-3.0.5744-02

B.J.

Fri Dec 17 07:03:37 EST 2010, CentOS 5.5, Linux 2.6.18-194.26.1.el5
athlon