Old 12-15-2010, 01:11 PM
Jussi Hirvi

Default Rsyslog weirdness

I just noticed that on one CentOS 5 server the logs messages, maillog
and a couple of others have been blank for a couple of weeks!

I tracked down the error to /etc/sysconfig/rsyslogd

There was a line
SYSLOGD_OPTIONS="-c3"

I googled that -c3 defines the "version" or "compatibility mode", and
with 3 it means "rsyslog v3 native interface".

When I removed the option and restarted rsyslogd, the logging began to
work again.

I wonder why is this. Probably this was caused by my recent system
updates (yum update).

- Jussi

--
Jussi Hirvi * Green Spot
Topeliuksenkatu 15 C * 00250 Helsinki * Finland