Old 12-15-2010, 09:11 AM
Kai Schaetzl

Default Replacing disk in RAID array with bigger disk?

I have to replace a disk in a RAID-1 array (LSI 1068 controller in an HP
DL320 G3) and I assume it shouldn't be a problem if I use a bigger one?
(going from 500 MB to 1 GB) The controller should just be able to build
the same 500 MB disk as it did before, right?
Now, if in a next step I replace the other, still smaller disk with a 1 GB
disk, too, will the controller be able to build a 1 GB disk from that? If
so, will the existing LVM setup be able to utilize that extra space or
will it be stuck at the original 500 MB?
I've never done this before, so I have no idea if this should work or not.
Thanks. Also thanks for any other comments regarding the replacement
process.

Kai

Old 12-15-2010, 06:22 PM
James Bensley

Side Note :Obviously backup what ever is on there!

Back on track: Yes, you can replace the first disk with a bigger one,
then the second at a later date and expand your LVM to fill out the
remaining space. Read up on how to do this, depending on your set up;
read about LVM growing/expanding, fs expanding, also how your hardware
RAID card work in this set up (it might not allow the growth of
existing volumes?). Its perfectly achievable just need to know how for
your specific situation.

James.

http://www.jamesbensley.co.cc/

There are 10 kinds of people in the world; Those who understand
Vigesimal, and J others...?

Old 12-16-2010, 09:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

yes, thanks, I will need to do a little reading. I just wanted to assure
that I'm on the right track and it's feasible. Chance has it that I found
two more unused disks of the same manufacture yesterday, so I will be
replacing with the same size today, anyway. But I know for next time ...

Kai