Old 12-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Keith Roberts

Default how to install CentOS onto a USB flash drive from Windows?

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, John Doe wrote:

> From: John Doe <jdmls@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] how to install CentOS onto a USB flash drive from
> Windows?
>
> From: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@SoftDux.com>
>
>> Can anyone please point me to a link with instructions on how to
>> install CentOS 5 onto a USB flash drive, preferably from Windows?
>> I would like to create a full running CentOS installation (with
>> minimal packages obviously) that runs off a USB flash drive, and I
>> don't have a Linux machine to use for this installation right now.
>
> Why not just boot from the CentOS DVD and do a normal install on the USB drive?
> But watch out not to "burn out" you USB drive (limited number of writes).

Not tried that yet, but when using a USB drive for doing a
kickstart installation, the USB drive is recognised by
anaconda as sda1, and offered as an installation option in
the partitioner dialogue.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

in practice they are not.