Old 12-14-2010, 12:50 PM
John Doe

Default how to install CentOS onto a USB flash drive from Windows?

From: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@SoftDux.com>

> Can anyone please point me to a link with instructions on how to
> install CentOS 5 onto a USB flash drive, preferably from Windows?
> I would like to create a full running CentOS installation (with
> minimal packages obviously) that runs off a USB flash drive, and I
> don't have a Linux machine to use for this installation right now.

Why not just boot from the CentOS DVD and do a normal install on the USB drive?
But watch out not to "burn out" you USB drive (limited number of writes).

JD

Old 12-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Rudi Ahlers

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 3:50 PM, John Doe <jdmls@yahoo.com> wrote:
> From: Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@SoftDux.com>
>
>> Can anyone please point me to a link with instructions on how *to
>> install CentOS 5 onto a USB flash drive, preferably from Windows?
>> I *would like to create a full running CentOS installation (with
>> minimal *packages obviously) that runs off a USB flash drive, and I
>> don't have a Linux *machine to use for this installation right now.
>
> Why not just boot from the CentOS DVD and do a normal install on the USB drive?
> But watch out not to "burn out" you USB drive (limited number of writes).
>
> JD

I don't have a DVD, nor any blank DVD's to write it to, but only an ISO
But it's fine, I've setup a Linux server with PXE and will (when i
have time again) do the install over the network.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 12-15-2010, 09:42 AM
John Doe

From: Keith Roberts <keith@karsites.net>

> Not tried that yet, but when using a USB drive for doing a
> kickstart installation, the USB drive is recognised by
> anaconda as sda1, and offered as an installation option in
> the partitioner dialogue.

ignoredisk --drives=sda
bootloader --driveorder=sdb,sda --location=mbr

JD