Old 12-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Default what is device dm-2?

According to some searches and the LVM documentation on centos.org a
"dmsetup ls" should give me more info. But it doesn't list devices with
dm- numbers. Only like so:

lv-name (major, minor)

The minor numbers seem to be the same numbers that I can see as dm-
numbers in an iostat. Is this by chance the dm- number, so that minor 2
would be dm-2?

Kai

Old 12-16-2010, 12:04 AM
Nataraj

On 12/14/2010 05:31 AM, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> According to some searches and the LVM documentation on centos.org a
> "dmsetup ls" should give me more info. But it doesn't list devices with
> dm- numbers. Only like so:
>
> lv-name (major, minor)
>
> The minor numbers seem to be the same numbers that I can see as dm-
> numbers in an iostat. Is this by chance the dm- number, so that minor 2
> would be dm-2?
>

> Kai

I believe it is anything that uses the device mapper. It could be an
encrypted volume or an LVM volume. I'm not sure how to tell what
devices are associated with it. Maybe try 'dmsetup ls' or see the
dmsetup man page.

Nataraj