Old 12-13-2010, 06:39 PM

Default Sun X4640

Problems with a relatively new server: anyone have one of these, and if I
see ECC errors complaining about "node 2, core x", does "node 2" mean
board 2, or is that the third board, counting from zero, or...?

mark

Old 12-13-2010, 06:50 PM
John R Pierce

On 12/13/10 11:39 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Problems with a relatively new server: anyone have one of these, and if I
> see ECC errors complaining about "node 2, core x", does "node 2" mean
> board 2, or is that the third board, counting from zero, or...?

means you should call Sun service. or look in the server hardware
documentation, where there's probably a map of the memory modules.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:12 PM

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 12/13/10 11:39 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> Problems with a relatively new server: anyone have one of these, and if
>> I see ECC errors complaining about "node 2, core x", does "node 2" mean
>> board 2, or is that the third board, counting from zero, or...?
>
> means you should call Sun service. or look in the server hardware
> documentation, where there's probably a map of the memory modules.

I've been working with them (right, the engineer I'm working with is in
Chile, while I'm in DC). I *think* this is a Linux naming convention,
though. Anyway, after I posted, I mentioned the problem to my manager, and
he suggested I look in dmesg. I went to one of the other identical boxes,
and looked, and sure enough, Linux is looking at it from node 0, so it's
the third board (if you count from 1). <g>

mark

Old 12-14-2010, 06:07 AM
Ben McGinnes

On 14/12/10 7:12 AM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> I've been working with them (right, the engineer I'm working with is in
> Chile, while I'm in DC). I *think* this is a Linux naming convention,
> though. Anyway, after I posted, I mentioned the problem to my manager, and
> he suggested I look in dmesg. I went to one of the other identical boxes,
> and looked, and sure enough, Linux is looking at it from node 0, so it's
> the third board (if you count from 1). <g>

This is what I was about to suggest (that it counted from 0). If it's a
variation on the X4600 M2 I can send you some useful related material
off-list.

Regards,
Ben