Old 12-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Lamar Owen

Default OT: programming language for morons (newbie friendly language in Open Source world)

On Monday, December 13, 2010 11:14:24 am Sven Aluoor wrote:
> What programming language should I learn?

Python. You can find useful examples of python code throughout CentOS, beginning the yum itself. Get yourself a copy of 'Dive into Python' (can be had as a free download, legalling) and, well, dive into python!

Old 12-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Alan Hodgson

On December 13, 2010 08:14:24 am Sven Aluoor wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I have more than 12 years experience with UNIX system administration,
> but I am too stupid for programming. My only programming experience is
> shell scripting. I tried to learn Java, but don't understand it
> because it is too complicated for my limited brainpower.
>
> What programming language should I learn?

Perl and Python are probably the most useful languages for system
administration tasks.