Old 12-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Sven Aluoor

Default OT: programming language for morons (newbie friendly language in Open Source world)

Hi folks

I have more than 12 years experience with UNIX system administration,
but I am too stupid for programming. My only programming experience is
shell scripting. I tried to learn Java, but don't understand it
because it is too complicated for my limited brainpower.

What programming language should I learn?

A friend said that C-Sharp (Mono) is very simple. Is this true?

cheers Sven

Old 12-13-2010, 03:17 PM
"Scot P. Floess"

I've not used C# - but as I understand it has similar constructs as Java
(and C++)...

What about Java didn't you understand? Trying to understand what you
didn't understand to make a suggestion...

I know, back in the day, I was all about Pascal

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010, Sven Aluoor wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> I have more than 12 years experience with UNIX system administration,
> but I am too stupid for programming. My only programming experience is
> shell scripting. I tried to learn Java, but don't understand it
> because it is too complicated for my limited brainpower.
>
> What programming language should I learn?
>
> A friend said that C-Sharp (Mono) is very simple. Is this true?
>
> cheers Sven

Scot P. Floess

RHCT (Certificate Number 605010084735240)

Chief Architect FlossWare http://sourceforge.net/projects/flossware
http://flossware.sourceforge.net
https://github.com/organizations/FlossWare

Chief Architect JPlate http://sourceforge.net/projects/jplate
Chief Architect Keros http://sourceforge.net/projects/keros

Old 12-13-2010, 03:31 PM

Sven Aluoor wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I have more than 12 years experience with UNIX system administration,
> but I am too stupid for programming. My only programming experience is
> shell scripting. I tried to learn Java, but don't understand it
> because it is too complicated for my limited brainpower.

Got about halfway up the learning curve for java, teaching it to myself
about four years ago. I ****->LOATHE<-**** java. Coming one of these days,
an article "The Failure of OO In General, and Java In Particular.

> What programming language should I learn?
>
> A friend said that C-Sharp (Mono) is very simple. Is this true?

C. Then try C++. Are you familiar with perl?

mark

Old 12-13-2010, 03:32 PM

Scot P. Floess wrote:

> I've not used C# - but as I understand it has similar constructs as Java
> (and C++)...
>
> What about Java didn't you understand? Trying to understand what you
> didn't understand to make a suggestion...
>
> I know, back in the day, I was all about Pascal

Well, that's why you like Pascal w/ P-Code, er, Java (writeln) and it's VM

mark "just *how* deep is that tomcat stack trace?"

Old 12-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Les Mikesell

On 12/13/2010 10:14 AM, Sven Aluoor wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I have more than 12 years experience with UNIX system administration,
> but I am too stupid for programming. My only programming experience is
> shell scripting. I tried to learn Java, but don't understand it
> because it is too complicated for my limited brainpower.
>
> What programming language should I learn?
>
> A friend said that C-Sharp (Mono) is very simple. Is this true?

Perl is probably the easiest next step for someone who has shell
scripting experience. The language can as complicated as you want to
make it, but you can keep it simple if you like. The big win with perl
is that pretty much anything you are likely to need to do has already
been done with code available on CPAN.

On the other hand, if you had some reason to want to use Java (like a
need to use existing code in binary jars), you might like groovy which
is mostly compatible with standard java but can also act like an
interpreter with much of the verbose requirements removed so it is much
easier to see the logic of a program.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Chris Geldenhuis

Sven Aluoor wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I have more than 12 years experience with UNIX system administration,
> but I am too stupid for programming. My only programming experience is
> shell scripting. I tried to learn Java, but don't understand it
> because it is too complicated for my limited brainpower.
>
> What programming language should I learn?
>
> A friend said that C-Sharp (Mono) is very simple. Is this true?
>
> cheers Sven

Look at Python, the syntax is very structured and has few gotchas. It is
also very useful for various sysadmin tasks.

ChrisG

Old 12-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Adam Tauno Williams

On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 17:14 +0100, Sven Aluoor wrote:
> Hi folks
> I have more than 12 years experience with UNIX system administration,
> but I am too stupid for programming. My only programming experience is
> shell scripting. I tried to learn Java, but don't understand it
> because it is too complicated for my limited brainpower.
> What programming language should I learn?
> A friend said that C-Sharp (Mono) is very simple. Is this true?

C# is a very nice language and the documentation is top-notch; it
probably has the best documentation of any stack [ with Java being near
the bottom of readable documentation ]. And Monodevelop is a fabulous
cross-platform IDE.

Another one to look at is Python. You can probably get off-the-ground
faster in Python. The documentation is fair to good and the core
[standard library in Python parlance] is quite good and reasonably
complete. Python poses some problems for large solutions or code bases
[Python has sloppy types vs. the virtuous strict types of C#] but that
doesn't really matter if you are just starting out.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Digimer

On 12/13/2010 11:37 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 12/13/2010 10:14 AM, Sven Aluoor wrote:
>> Hi folks
>>
>> I have more than 12 years experience with UNIX system administration,
>> but I am too stupid for programming. My only programming experience is
>> shell scripting. I tried to learn Java, but don't understand it
>> because it is too complicated for my limited brainpower.
>>
>> What programming language should I learn?
>>
>> A friend said that C-Sharp (Mono) is very simple. Is this true?
>
> Perl is probably the easiest next step for someone who has shell
> scripting experience. The language can as complicated as you want to
> make it, but you can keep it simple if you like. The big win with perl
> is that pretty much anything you are likely to need to do has already
> been done with code available on CPAN.
>
> On the other hand, if you had some reason to want to use Java (like a
> need to use existing code in binary jars), you might like groovy which
> is mostly compatible with standard java but can also act like an
> interpreter with much of the verbose requirements removed so it is much
> easier to see the logic of a program.

Perl++

It's like paint. You have a fairly basic set of tools, but they can be
combined to make anything you can imagine. Like paint though, if you
don't care about your work, you can end up with a bleeping mess. If you
care about your art though, you can make powerful masterpieces.

Perl is strictly object oriented, though it can be used as such. It has
very few enforced rules, so it's up to you to develop a clean coding style.

There is a line in the docs with regard to variables in module that, I
think, applies to everything in perl.

Perl doesn't have an infatuation with enforced privacy. It would prefer
that you stayed out of its living room because you weren't invited, not
because it has a shotgun -- Larry Wall

Some people love the freedom of this ideaology while others hate it.
Whether perl is right for you will depend largely on your take on this.
If you prefer structure, then Python is an excellent alternative.

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer@alteeve.com

Old 12-13-2010, 03:53 PM

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 17:14 +0100, Sven Aluoor wrote:
>> Hi folks
>> I have more than 12 years experience with UNIX system administration,
>> but I am too stupid for programming. My only programming experience is
>> shell scripting. I tried to learn Java, but don't understand it
>> because it is too complicated for my limited brainpower.
>> What programming language should I learn?
>> A friend said that C-Sharp (Mono) is very simple. Is this true?
<snip>
> Another one to look at is Python. You can probably get off-the-ground
<snip>
And python's the only language to use whitespace as a syntax element....

mark, shaking his head

Old 12-13-2010, 03:54 PM
"Scot P. Floess"

Ha! Well, I wish I could say my like of Java is related to your
description On a side note, I use to make a living with C++ prior to
Java