FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-13-2010, 02:01 PM
benedict dcunha
 
Default Installing Centos 5.5 64 bit issues

Dear All,
*
We have a new SUN BLADE X6270 SERVER MODULES and i am trying to install centos 5.5 64 bit . the installations starts fine but when it reaches the point inialthe X server it says initialization done but then gives a fatal error and stops

*
Appreciate if some one could help me and advice
*
regards
*
*
simon
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-13-2010, 02:08 PM
RedShift
 
Default Installing Centos 5.5 64 bit issues

On 12/13/10 16:01, benedict dcunha wrote:
> Dear All,
> We have a new SUN BLADE X6270 SERVER MODULES and i am trying to install centos 5.5 64 bit . the installations starts fine but when it reaches the point inialthe X server it says initialization done but then gives a fatal error and stops
> Appreciate if some one could help me and advice
> regards
> simon
>

ENOCRYSTALBALL
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-13-2010, 03:22 PM
 
Default Installing Centos 5.5 64 bit issues

benedict dcunha wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> We have a new SUN BLADE X6270 SERVER MODULES and i am trying to install
> centos 5.5 64 bit . the installations starts fine but when it reaches the
> point inialthe X server it says initialization done but then gives a fatal
> error and stops
>
> Appreciate if some one could help me and advice
>
Obviously, it's having trouble identifying the card. Edit /etc/inittab so
that you start up in runlevel 3 instead of 5. Besides, it's a server, why
does it need to be running X?

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Brian Mathis
 
Default Installing Centos 5.5 64 bit issues

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:22 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> benedict dcunha wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> We have a new SUN BLADE X6270 SERVER MODULES and i am trying to install
>> centos 5.5 64 bit . the installations starts fine but when it reaches the
>> point inialthe X server it says initialization done but then gives a fatal
>> error and stops
>>
>> Appreciate if some one could help me and advice
>>
> Obviously, it's having trouble identifying the card. Edit /etc/inittab so
> that you start up in runlevel 3 instead of 5. Besides, it's a server, why
> does it need to be running X?
>
> * * * * mark
>

Because when you're doing a typical server install, the installation
process uses X (unless you've customized the install to default to
text mode, in which case you already know that and are just trolling).
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-13-2010, 04:24 PM
 
Default Installing Centos 5.5 64 bit issues

Brian Mathis wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:22 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> benedict dcunha wrote:
>>>
>>> We have a new SUN BLADE X6270 SERVER MODULES and i am trying to install
>>> centos 5.5 64 bit . the installations starts fine but when it reaches
>>> the point inialthe X server it says initialization done but then gives a
>>> fatal error and stops
>>>
>>> Appreciate if some one could help me and advice
>>>
>> Obviously, it's having trouble identifying the card. Edit /etc/inittab
>> so that you start up in runlevel 3 instead of 5. Besides, it's a server,
>> why does it need to be running X?
>
> Because when you're doing a typical server install, the installation
> process uses X (unless you've customized the install to default to
> text mode, in which case you already know that and are just trolling).

Neither. I'll ignore the fact that I, and the folks I work with, *always*
use linux text (though pxeboot is starting up), and point out that once
you've run the installation, you usually have more stuff to do: update
everything from install source to current, dhcp, mail, etc.

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-14-2010, 03:49 AM
Nico Kadel-Garcia
 
Default Installing Centos 5.5 64 bit issues

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:01 AM, benedict dcunha
<sylvan.dcunha@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> We have a new SUN BLADE X6270 SERVER MODULES and i am trying to install
> centos 5.5 64 bit . the installations starts fine but when it reaches the
> point inialthe X server it says initialization done but then gives a fatal
> error and stops

Install in text mode: type "linux text" at the installation init
screen. It's not as flexible, but it avoids this failed detection of
your graphics chipset or video card.

>
> Appreciate if some one could help me and advice
>
> regards
>
>
> simon
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
>
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-14-2010, 08:34 AM
John Hodrien
 
Default Installing Centos 5.5 64 bit issues

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> Neither. I'll ignore the fact that I, and the folks I work with, *always*
> use linux text (though pxeboot is starting up), and point out that once
> you've run the installation, you usually have more stuff to do: update
> everything from install source to current, dhcp, mail, etc.

Problem with linux text is that it's not as capable as the graphical installer
anymore, as Nico commented. It's definitely taken on the role of a fall back
option rather than a genuine alternative to the normal X based installer.

jh
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Ross Walker
 
Default Installing Centos 5.5 64 bit issues

On Dec 13, 2010, at 11:49 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:01 AM, benedict dcunha
> <sylvan.dcunha@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> We have a new SUN BLADE X6270 SERVER MODULES and i am trying to install
>> centos 5.5 64 bit . the installations starts fine but when it reaches the
>> point inialthe X server it says initialization done but then gives a fatal
>> error and stops
>
> Install in text mode: type "linux text" at the installation init
> screen. It's not as flexible, but it avoids this failed detection of
> your graphics chipset or video card.

Or use the 'vnc' option to make it available over vnc instead then connect from any vnc capable device to do the installation.

-Ross

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-14-2010, 02:07 PM
 
Default Installing Centos 5.5 64 bit issues

Dear All,



Thanks for all the help.



By the way I did install centos 5.5 in text mode and everything went fine .cthe server to the network and then found that i was not able to ping the gateway



when i do a network restart i see that eth0 comes up normally



also when i do a modprobe eth0 im returened back to prompt with no errors



the switch port shows the link up



ifconfig shows the interface is up and running



how could I know that the driver is installed correctly .. or any way i could know that my interface is up and working correctly







thanks and regards





if you need more details i would highly apprecite if you could ask please





regards



simon







On Dec 14, 2010 5:18pm, Ross Walker <rswwalker@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2010, at 11:49 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel@gmail.com> wrote:

>

>

>

>

>

> > On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:01 AM, benedict dcunha

>

>

> > sylvan.dcunha@gmail.com> wrote:

>

>

> >> Dear All,

>

>

> >>

>

>

> >> We have a new SUN BLADE X6270 SERVER MODULES and i am trying to install

>

>

> >> centos 5.5 64 bit . the installations starts fine but when it reaches the

>

>

> >> point inialthe X server it says initialization done but then gives a fatal

>

>

> >> error and stops

>

>

> >

>

>

> > Install in text mode: type "linux text" at the installation init

>

>

> > screen. It's not as flexible, but it avoids this failed detection of

>

>

> > your graphics chipset or video card.

>

>

>

>

>

> Or use the 'vnc' option to make it available over vnc instead then connect from any vnc capable device to do the installation.

>

>

>

>

>

> -Ross

>

>

>

>

>

> _______________________________________________

>

>

> CentOS mailing list

>

>

> CentOS@centos.org

>

>

> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

>

>

>_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-15-2010, 08:05 AM
Philix T A
 
Default Installing Centos 5.5 64 bit issues

*
1) Check the TCP stack work by ping 127.0.0.1 and ping LOCALIP
2) execute* ' lspci | egrep -i net ' *and paste the output
3) Any firewall disabling ICMP packets
*
Regards


*
On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 8:37 PM, <sylvan.dcunha@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear All,

Thanks for all the help.

By the way I did install centos 5.5 in text mode and everything went fine .cthe server to the network and then found that i was not able to ping the gateway


when i do a network restart i see that eth0 comes up normally

also when i do a modprobe eth0 im returened back to prompt with no errors

the switch port shows the link up

ifconfig shows the interface is up and running


how could I know that the driver is installed correctly .. or any way i could know that my interface is up and working correctly



thanks and regards


if you need more details i would highly apprecite if you could ask please



regards

simon






On Dec 14, 2010 5:18pm, Ross Walker <rswwalker@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 13, 2010, at 11:49 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel@gmail.com> wrote:

>
>
>
>
>
> > On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:01 AM, benedict dcunha
>
>
> > sylvan.dcunha@gmail.com> wrote:

>
>
> >> Dear All,
>
>
> >>
>
>
> >> We have a new SUN BLADE X6270 SERVER MODULES and i am trying to install
>
>
> >> centos 5.5 64 bit . the installations starts fine but when it reaches the

>
>
> >> point inialthe X server it says initialization done but then gives a fatal
>
>
> >> error and stops
>
>
> >
>
>
> > Install in text mode: type "linux text" at the installation init

>
>
> > screen. It's not as flexible, but it avoids this failed detection of
>
>
> > your graphics chipset or video card.
>
>
>
>
>
> Or use the 'vnc' option to make it available over vnc instead then connect from any vnc capable device to do the installation.

>
>
>
>
>
> -Ross
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
>
> CentOS mailing list
>
>

> Cent
*


OS@centos.org
>
>
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

>
>
>
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos




_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:08 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org