Old 12-12-2010, 02:20 PM
S Mathias

Default openssl chat

i can use "natively" openssl for anonymous chat:

# Chat:
# server side:
openssl req -x509 -nodes -days 365 -newkey rsa:8192 -keyout mycert.pem -out mycert.pem

# server side - generate a self-signed cert.
openssl s_server -accept 52310 -cert mycert.pem

# client side - "127.0.0.1" is the IP of the server
openssl s_client -connect 127.0.0.1:52310

1) but how can i set it to require username/password? it would be a great chat tool
2) how can i transfer files with openssl? [again: with username/password?]

thank you for any ideas :

p.s.: or it will be a firewall rule, to restrict to ip addresses in a list? those, who are only allowed to connect..

Old 12-13-2010, 02:12 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2010-12-12 at 07:21 -0800, S Mathias wrote:
> i can use "natively" openssl for anonymous chat:

Umm, wouldn't using unique encryption be the opposite of anonymous?

i.e. Positively identifying it as you now, and later. Or, at least, the
same person, if not which person.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:19 AM
Fernando Cassia

i can use "natively" openssl for anonymous chat:

Here

http://linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2003/02/13/ssh_ytalk.html

FC

Old 12-13-2010, 06:58 AM
Chris Bannister

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 07:20:59AM -0800, S Mathias wrote:
> i can use "natively" openssl for anonymous chat:
[snip]

May I suggest using an openssl mailing list to ask questions about
general usage of openssl.

http://www.openssl.org/support/community.html

-- Napoleon Bonaparte

Old 12-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Bob Proulx

S Mathias wrote:
> i can use "natively" openssl for anonymous chat:

Yes. But it just connects your keyboard and handles the ssl
encryption part. It doesn't really know about the chat protocol.

> # Chat:
> # server side:
> openssl req -x509 -nodes -days 365 -newkey rsa:8192 -keyout mycert.pem -out mycert.pem
>
> # server side - generate a self-signed cert.
> openssl s_server -accept 52310 -cert mycert.pem
>
> # client side - "127.0.0.1" is the IP of the server
> openssl s_client -connect 127.0.0.1:52310
>
> 1) but how can i set it to require username/password? it would be a
> great chat tool

That would be within the realm of a chat client. Using the openssl
program like that is rather like using telnet to connect to the smtp
port to send email. It can do it as long as you type in all of the
right commands but that isn't the intended purpose.

> 2) how can i transfer files with openssl? [again: with username/password?]

Your best direction is to use a chat client that has been written to
those things.

Bob