Old 12-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Keith Roberts

Default system startup sound

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> From: m.roth@5-cent.us
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] system startup sound
>
> Timo Schoeler wrote:
>>>
>>> That's a firmware/BIOS thing, if it's the one I think.
>>
>> Pull the cable of the internal PC speaker. The annoying 'beep' is the
>> only sensible sound that thing is capable of, anyways. (Yes, I know
>> there are ways to redirect sound to that crappy device an yes, I had
>> hard laughs of it way back in Amiga times, too.
>
> On the other hand, I *have* diagnosed problems from the beep code, which
> it's not hard to look up.

Yes, that's a good point worth remembering.

I also use the initial 'beep' from a reboot as an indicator
that my fresh kickstart installation has just finished.

Keith

in practice they are not.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:09 PM
David Sommerseth

On 10/12/10 17:17, Ritika Garg wrote:
> Whenever the system boots there is sound ( beep ). Is there any way to
> disable it?

Depends on if it is an OS or hardware thing.

If it's an OS thing, the easiest way is to do:

[root@centos:~ #] modprobe -r pcspkr

Or to make this permanent, add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

blacklist pcspkr

kind regards,

David Sommerseth

Old 12-11-2010, 03:33 AM
Ritika Garg

The system is DELL laptop. So i am not sure if the cable of the internal PC speaker can be pulled. In preferences->sound->system beep, i unchecked the option "enable system beep". This solves the problem, but is there any way to change the system beep?