Old 12-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Boris Epstein

Default CentOS 6: what's the status?

Hello listmates,

So, what's the story with CentOS 6? It is supposed to be out by now,
or coming out soon, or so I heard - but yet there seems to be no
mention of it at http://centos.org/ . Does anybody know what's up with
that?

Thanks.

Boris.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Tom Bishop

Well I'm sure there are a lot of folks eagerly waiting..this is the latest I have seen which sums it up the best.... http://planet.centos.org/

e.g.* it will be here when it is ready, I for one am hoping for an early christmas present....

Old 12-06-2010, 06:51 PM
James Chamberlain

On Dec 6, 2010, at 2:31 PM, Boris Epstein wrote:

> Hello listmates,
>
> So, what's the story with CentOS 6? It is supposed to be out by now,
> or coming out soon, or so I heard - but yet there seems to be no
> mention of it at http://centos.org/ . Does anybody know what's up with
> that?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Boris.

Hello Boris,

According to the Rebuild/Release Process FAQ [1], a point release or
update set should take 4-8 weeks to get out, +/- 2 weeks. A new major
version is expected to take longer. Since RHEL 6 came out less than a
month ago, it will be some time yet before CentOS 6 comes out. I'm
sure the build team is working hard on it, but they're not going to
release it before it's ready. If you need it sooner than that, you
might want to look at RHEL.

Regards,

James

[1] http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General/RebuildReleaseProcess

Old 12-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Lucian

It's still in the making with no ETA. Follow http://twitter.com/centos
and http://twitter.com/kbsingh to stay informed.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Lamar Owen

On Monday, December 06, 2010 02:31:23 pm Boris Epstein wrote:
> So, what's the story with CentOS 6? It is supposed to be out by now,
> or coming out soon, or so I heard - but yet there seems to be no
> mention of it at http://centos.org/ . Does anybody know what's up with
> that?

Karanbir has solicited help on the -devel list; I'm sure there are things that need doing that perhaps you could help with......

Having said that, if you just absolutely must run an EL6, Scientific Linux 6 is available in an early alpha (and I do mean early alpha); it may very well be that might fit your bill for something to 'try out'.

In this regard, SL and CentOS have somewhat differing approaches; I understand and respect both approaches, and, as I've learned being the father of five children, ages 3 to 16, patience works wonders. So, even though I've pulled an iso of the SL6 alpha, I'm patiently waiting a stable, well-thought-out release of C6, whenever it's ready. Even if that were to be January, February, or March.

SL6 is tentatively set for sometime around March 11 for final release: from the SL mailing list, Troy Dawson being quoted: "It is still too early to tell, but I think we can stand by our original guess, which was 4 months from RHEL's original release. As you put it, that would be March 11. Give us another month (mid-january) and I think we can have a more accurate timeline." I hope Troy doesn't mind my quoting him here.

I'm one who thinks a Christmas _alpha_or_beta_ might be reasonable, but I really don't think a final release by then is reasonably doable, as long as the small group doing the work doesn't get quite a bit more help. Of course, I reserve the right to be wrong, but I like my CentOS stable, not early.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Eero Volotinen

2010/12/6 Lamar Owen <lowen@pari.edu>:
> On Monday, December 06, 2010 02:31:23 pm Boris Epstein wrote:
>> So, what's the story with CentOS 6? It is supposed to be out by now,
>> or coming out soon, or so I heard - but yet there seems to be no
>> mention of it at http://centos.org/ . Does anybody know what's up with
>> that?
>
> Karanbir has solicited help on the -devel list; I'm sure there are things that need doing that perhaps you could help with......

Can you point to the direct message? I might have some time to donate

--
Eero

Old 12-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Connie Sieh

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Monday, December 06, 2010 02:31:23 pm Boris Epstein wrote:
>> So, what's the story with CentOS 6? It is supposed to be out by now,
>> or coming out soon, or so I heard - but yet there seems to be no
>> mention of it at http://centos.org/ . Does anybody know what's up with
>> that?
>
> Karanbir has solicited help on the -devel list; I'm sure there are things that need doing that perhaps you could help with......
>
> Having said that, if you just absolutely must run an EL6, Scientific Linux 6 is available in an early alpha (and I do mean early alpha); it may very well be that might fit your bill for something to 'try out'.

We have released both a pre alpha based on rebuilds of the RHEL 6 Beta and
a "alpha" based on the rebuild of the RHEL 6 released SRPMS. The later
was done this past friday. It is a alpha and as such should NOT NOT NOT
be used for anything other than testing.

> In this regard, SL and CentOS have somewhat differing approaches;
> I understand and respect both approaches, and, as I've learned being
> the father of five children, ages 3 to 16, patience works wonders.
> So, even though I've pulled an iso of the SL6 alpha, I'm patiently
> waiting a stable, well-thought-out release of C6, whenever it's ready.
> Even if that were to be January, February, or March.

SL believes in "release early" , "release often".

Old 12-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Kwan Lowe

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Lamar Owen <lowen@pari.edu> wrote:

> Having said that, if you just absolutely must run an EL6, Scientific Linux 6 is available in an early alpha (and I do mean early alpha); it may very well be that might fit your bill for something to 'try out'.

Or grab a RHEL6 license

There are actually a lot of interesting things on it. It works
beautifully on a couple laptops. I'm going to break down and grab a
server license soon to get a jumpstart on the CentOS spin..

Old 12-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Lamar Owen

Start with http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2010-November/006018.html