Old 12-06-2010, 05:52 PM
adrian kok

Default http request, which command is good for testing

Hi all

I just know there are curl / lwp-request, lynx and elinks

Which command is good for http testing?

Thank you

Old 12-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Matty

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 1:52 PM, adrian kok <adriankok2000@yahoo.com.hk> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I just know there are curl / lwp-request, lynx and elinks
>
> Which command is good for http testing?

I've had good luck with both curl and wget. There are other tools like
smokeping and httping that ca test a site, but I've had great luck
combining wget / curl with bash or perl. Here are two example scripts
that might help you:

http://prefetch.net/code/content-check

http://prefetch.net/code/http-ping.pl

Hope that helps,
- Ryan
--
http://prefetch.net

Old 12-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Rudi Ahlers

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 8:52 PM, adrian kok <adriankok2000@yahoo.com.hk> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I just know there are curl / lwp-request, lynx and elinks
>
> Which command is good for http testing?
>
> Thank you

links
lynx
telnet
wget
etc

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 12-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Paul Heinlein

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 8:52 PM, adrian kok <adriankok2000@yahoo.com.hk> wrote:
>> Which command is good for http testing?
>
> links
> lynx
> telnet
> wget
> etc

I like curl because it defaults to printing to standard output. (You
can do it with wget too, of course, it's just not standard behavior.)
The trick is that curl has just slightly fewer than 1,000 command-line
options to learn. :-) My favorite is -I (--head), which tells curl to
grab only the HTTP headers.

"elinks -dump 1 -dump-width 72 -no-references -no-numbering" can be
immensely useful.

The wrapper scripts (GET, HEAD, POST) installed with the
perl-libwww-perl package can be used both on their own and as nice
examples of web programming with Perl.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Les Mikesell

On 12/6/10 12:52 PM, adrian kok wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I just know there are curl / lwp-request, lynx and elinks
>
> Which command is good for http testing?

jmeter is pretty good for load testing if you don't mind running java.
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 12-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Benjamin Franz

On 12/06/2010 10:52 AM, adrian kok wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I just know there are curl / lwp-request, lynx and elinks
>
> Which command is good for http testing?

What kind of testing? Throughput? Testing the output of scripts? Broken
link detection? You need to define what you mean by 'http testing'.

For simple 'how fast is my webserver' testing, 'ab' works ok and is part
of the default Apache webserver install.

--
Benjamin Franz