Old 12-06-2010, 12:40 AM
Dave

Default DVD drive ownership/permissions group ownership = mail?

I can change the group ownershipp of the DVD drive, but if I log out &
in again it changes back. Is there a way to make a change permanent?
How could I figure out what process is changing this back?

ls -la /dev/scd0
brw-rw---- 1 root mail 11, 0 Nov 12 15:17 /dev/scd0

mahalo,
Dave

Old 12-06-2010, 09:46 AM
John Doe

From: Dave <tdbtdb+centos@gmail.com>

> I can change the group ownershipp of the DVD drive, but if I log out &
> in again it changes back. Is there a way to make a change permanent?
> How could I figure out what process is changing this back?
> ls -la /dev/scd0
> brw-rw---- 1 root mail 11, 0 Nov 12 15:17 /dev/scd0

Hum... the mail group ownership seems strange...
Mine is:
brw------- 1 jd disk 11, 0 nov 22 10:28 /dev/scd0
Maybe check in /etc/udev/rules.d if you see something...

JD

Old 12-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Jörgen Maas

Nope this is wrong.
You are supposed to add the relevant users to the group (in
/etc/group) instead of changing the group ownership on the device
file. That makes it persistent too..

Regards,

Jorgen Maas