Old 12-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Cia Watson

Default linux boot process (was# chkconfig: kill at run level 3)

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 20:42:02 +0000 (UTC)
"Michael D. Berger" <m_d_berger_1900@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 15:25:47 +0000, Keith Roberts wrote:
>
> [...]
> >
> > Please see this old SuSE documentation for a good description of the
> > Linux boot process:
> >
> > http://linuxmafia.com/linux/suse-linux-internals/part2.html
> >
> [...]
>
> Will this SuSE documentation be correct for CentOS, which is RedHat?

I'm not a boot-loader expert, but CentOS uses grub and the first thing
I notice about the attached article is that it talks about LILO. From
what I've gathered LILO is a different animal than grub, so as far as
the documentation is specific to lilo processes, I'd say no it wouldn't
be correct for CentOS.

However since the 'li' part of lilo stands for linux, then it may be a
good general reference. But some of those more expert in the
differences two will probably chime in at some point.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Cia Watson

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 03:41:45 +0000 (UTC)
"Michael D. Berger" <m_d_berger_1900@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 15:58:10 +0000, Cia Watson wrote:
> [...]
> 04 Dec 2010 15:25:47 +0000, Keith Roberts wrote:
> >>
> [...]
> >
> > I'm not a boot-loader expert, but CentOS uses grub and the first
> > thing I notice about the attached article is that it talks about
> > LILO. From what I've gathered LILO is a different animal than grub,
> > so as far as the documentation is specific to lilo processes, I'd
> > say no it wouldn't be correct for CentOS.
> >
> > However since the 'li' part of lilo stands for linux, then it may
> > be a good general reference. But some of those more expert in the
> > differences two will probably chime in at some point.
>
> So where can I find a good description of how grub works in RedHat?

Here's some links I found doing a general search for grub redhat:

http://magazine.redhat.com/2007/03/21/using-grub-to-overcome-boot-problems/

http://www.sorgonet.com/linux/grubrestore

General info:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/

This one talks about boot floppies, so it's obviously a little old :-/
http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/grub/grub.htm

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4622

Old 12-05-2010, 05:20 AM
John R Pierce

> I'm not a boot-loader expert, but CentOS uses grub and the first thing
> I notice about the attached article is that it talks about LILO. From
> what I've gathered LILO is a different animal than grub, so as far as
> the documentation is specific to lilo processes, I'd say no it wouldn't
> be correct for CentOS.
>
> However since the 'li' part of lilo stands for linux, then it may be a
> good general reference. But some of those more expert in the
> differences two will probably chime in at some point.

for the sake of anyone reading this thread in the future...

LILO was the old linux loader. it was used in the original Red Hat
Linux until about 7.2.

GRUB is more powerful, more flexible, supports more/newer hardware, and
newer/larger file systems, etc etc. All RHEL/CentOS systems have used grub.

Lilo requires boot information to be updated in the MBR each time
anything changed. grub can read the grub.conf file in the /boot file
system so there's no need to update it when you edit the file.