Old 12-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Scott Ehrlich

Default Fwd: Linux, Windows AD domain, and IDs

You have a CentOS (for example) workstation that is a member of a
Windows AD domain courtesy of modified smb.conf and krb5.conf files.
There are, thus, no local user accounts on the linux workstation.

There is a network application that benefits most (maybe even
requires) the user's numerical portion of their employee ID as their
linux workstation id.

Thus, if I log in, my domain username might be scott12. * My employee
ID might be se123456. * *If I log into the linux workstation, I'm
going to log in as scott12 along with providing my password. * *I type
id at the shell, and am given something like scott12 (10001) for the
user. * *How can I manage to make the id [also] equal to 123456 for
user scott12 without breaking anything?

Thanks for any leads.

Scott

Old 12-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Ryan Wagoner

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 5:41 AM, Scott Ehrlich <srehrlich@gmail.com> wrote:
> You have a CentOS (for example) workstation that is a member of a
> Windows AD domain courtesy of modified smb.conf and krb5.conf files.
> There are, thus, no local user accounts on the linux workstation.
>
> There is a network application that benefits most (maybe even
> requires) the user's numerical portion of their employee ID as their
> linux workstation id.
>
> Thus, if I log in, my domain username might be scott12. * My employee
> ID might be se123456. * *If I log into the linux workstation, I'm
> going to log in as scott12 along with providing my password. * *I type
> id at the shell, and am given something like scott12 (10001) for the
> user. * *How can I manage to make the id [also] equal to 123456 for
> user scott12 without breaking anything?
>
> Thanks for any leads.
>
> Scott

You need to use IDMAP to do this. Have a look at the below link,
specially the IDMAP storage in LDAP section.

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/idmapper.html

Ryan

Old 12-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Benjamin Donnachie

On 4 December 2010 14:34, Ryan Wagoner <rswagoner@gmail.com> wrote:
> You need to use IDMAP to do this. Have a look at the below link,
> specially the IDMAP storage in LDAP section.

Alternatively, install Windows Services for UNIX on the Active
Directory box, and define each user's UID within AD. Useful if you
have lots of Linux boxes.

Ben