Old 12-04-2010, 05:47 AM
muhammad panji

Default LVM change disk

Dear all,
I have a 4,1TB Logical volume consist of four disks with size of 2TB,
1TB, 1TB, and 500GB. The LV currently full. I plan to change the 1Tb
disks and 500Gb disks. I plan to remove one 1TB disk or the 500GB so
that I can replace it with 2TB disk. most LVM tutorial ask to use
pvmove to move phisical extent to the new disk. The problem is that I
have no SATA port left so that I can't move PE to the new disk. How to
migrate the data safely so that I can replace the disk? Thank you in
advance
regards,

--
-----
Muhammad Panji

Old 12-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Jim Wildman

1) Plan better next time
2) Use a USB drive as a temporary disk

Old 12-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Jorge Fábregas

On Saturday 04 December 2010 02:47:15 muhammad panji wrote:
> The problem is that I have no SATA port left so that I can't move PE to the
> new disk.

I don't see how you can solve your problem with the current setup (you need to
free up space and put it somewhere but you don't have any more disks to add to
the volume group as you don't have any more SATA ports left...).
Two possible workarounds:

Free up 500GB of space by:
1- temporarily moving the data to an external USB drive or....
2- move the data to another host (thru the network)

Then you can use "pvmove" to remove the 500GB drive and put the 2TB one.

--
Jorge

Old 12-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Ryan Wagoner

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 1:47 AM, muhammad panji <sumodirjo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> I have a 4,1TB Logical volume consist of four disks with size of 2TB,
> 1TB, 1TB, and 500GB. The LV currently full. I plan to change the 1Tb
> disks and 500Gb disks. I plan to remove one 1TB disk or the 500GB so
> that I can replace it with 2TB disk. most LVM tutorial ask to use
> pvmove to move phisical extent to the new disk. The problem is that I
> have no SATA port left so that I can't move PE to the new disk. How to
> migrate the data safely so that I can replace the disk? Thank you in
> advance
> regards,

The easiest way would be to move some data off to a USB drive. The
other option would be to dd copy one of the existing disks over to the
2TB disk. Then extend the LVM volume. This would require some disk
swapping and careful planning.

Ryan

Old 12-04-2010, 05:29 PM
John R Pierce

On 12/03/10 10:47 PM, muhammad panji wrote:
> Dear all,
> I have a 4,1TB Logical volume consist of four disks with size of 2TB,
> 1TB, 1TB, and 500GB. The LV currently full. I plan to change the 1Tb
> disks and 500Gb disks. I plan to remove one 1TB disk or the 500GB so
> that I can replace it with 2TB disk. most LVM tutorial ask to use
> pvmove to move phisical extent to the new disk. The problem is that I
> have no SATA port left so that I can't move PE to the new disk. How to
> migrate the data safely so that I can replace the disk? Thank you in
> advance

do you realize that if any one of those 4 miscellaneous drives fails,
you lose the whole volume?

got backup? if you do, then just wipe and rebuild your LVM and restore
the backup.

if you don't, well, you better start thinking about what you do when one
of those drives fails and takes out all your data.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Adam Tauno Williams

On Sat, 2010-12-04 at 10:29 -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 12/03/10 10:47 PM, muhammad panji wrote:
> > Dear all,
> > I have a 4,1TB Logical volume consist of four disks with size of 2TB,
> > 1TB, 1TB, and 500GB. The LV currently full. I plan to change the 1Tb
> > disks and 500Gb disks. I plan to remove one 1TB disk or the 500GB so
> > that I can replace it with 2TB disk. most LVM tutorial ask to use
> > pvmove to move phisical extent to the new disk. The problem is that I
> > have no SATA port left so that I can't move PE to the new disk. How to
> > migrate the data safely so that I can replace the disk? Thank you in
> > advance

Attach the drive to the system using a USB caddy.
Do the the pvmove
Remove the old physical volume from the volume group
Shutdown
Remove the drive from the caddy
Install the drive into the system in place of the old drive.
Boot.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:16 PM
muhammad panji

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Adam Tauno Williams
<awilliam@whitemice.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-12-04 at 10:29 -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
>> On 12/03/10 10:47 PM, muhammad panji wrote:
>> > Dear all,
>> > I have a 4,1TB Logical volume consist of four disks with size of 2TB,
>> > 1TB, 1TB, and 500GB. The LV currently full. I plan to change the 1Tb
>> > disks and 500Gb disks. I plan to remove one 1TB disk or the 500GB so
>> > that I can replace it with 2TB disk. most LVM tutorial ask to use
>> > pvmove to move phisical extent to the new disk. The problem is that I
>> > have no SATA port left so that I can't move PE to the new disk. How to
>> > migrate the data safely so that I can replace the disk? Thank you in
>> > advance
>
> Attach the drive to the system using a USB caddy.
> Do the the pvmove
> Remove the old physical volume from the volume group
> Shutdown
> Remove the drive from the caddy
> Install the drive into the system in place of the old drive.
> Boot.
Hi all,
Thanks for the reply. I know I didn't plan well when I setup for the
first time, even the PE size is 128MB so that I can only have a 8TB
LV.

I have moved around 1,3Tb data to another computers, is it save to
resize the LV filesystem and then resize the volume group so that I
can remove one of the disks? I plan to do more less like this tutorial
http://www.tcpdump.com/kb/os/linux/lvm-resizing-guide/shrink.html

After removing the disk, I can attach the new disks, add it to the VG
and then resize the LV and the filesystem.

Second alternative is to buy and use SATA-to-USB cable and do pvmove etc

The third is, I have similar machine that will be used to hold the
removed disk from the first machine. At the end the first machine will
have 4x 2Tb disks and the second machine will have 2x1Tb disks + 500Gb
disk. So I will attach the new disks to the second machine, move all
the data from the first machine, and remove the 2Tb disk from the
first machine and attach it to the second machine.

Any Suggestion which one is the best way to do this? Thank you in advance
regards,

--
-----
Muhammad Panji