Old 12-03-2010, 05:35 PM
ann kok

Default networking printer

Hi all

I would like to ask linux can do the networking printer as window

Share it to office environment

If yes, any brand name and concern

Any documentation also

Thank you so much

Old 12-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Matty

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 1:35 PM, ann kok <oiyankok@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I would like to ask linux can do the networking printer as window
>
> Share it to office environment
>
> If yes, any brand name and concern
>
> Any documentation also
>
> Thank you so much

Samba combined with cups can be used to share a printer on your
windows / Linux network. Take a look at the Samba HOWTO for specifics.

- Ryan
--
http://prefetch.net

Old 12-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Robert Heller

> Hi all
>
> I would like to ask linux can do the networking printer as window
>
> Share it to office environment

Yes. You need to install and setup Samba.

> If yes, any brand name and concern

Any PostScript Laser printer is easy and trivial to set up.
Non-postscript printers are a little more bother. You'll need to
install the drivers on the Windows machine.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Joshua Baker-LePain

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 at 1:46pm, Robert Heller wrote

>> Hi all
>>
>> I would like to ask linux can do the networking printer as window
>>
>> Share it to office environment
>
> Yes. You need to install and setup Samba.

Most (and all recent) versions of Windows will print to IPP printers just
fine, so there's actually no need for Samba. Standard CUPS is all that's
needed.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin

Old 12-03-2010, 05:57 PM

ann kok wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I would like to ask linux can do the networking printer as window

<snip>
man cups

mark

Old 12-06-2010, 10:13 AM
John Doe

From: ann kok <oiyankok@yahoo.ca>

> I would like to ask linux can do the networking printer as window
> Share it to office environment
> If yes, any brand name and concern
> Any documentation also

Most entry level business printers are ethernet (standalone).
Our 2 years old 200€ color laser printer does TCP/IP, AppleTalk, MS, IPP...
Unless you need CUPS functionalities...

JD