Old 12-01-2010, 07:47 PM
"Nicolas Ross"

Default 1 Gbit/s Ethernet NIC under CentOS

>> Is there a list somewhere out there listing what card features what
>> chipset?
>>
>> It definitely looks like it is best to just stick to the better
>> chipsets - might be a little more expensive but definitely worth the
>> money.
>
> You get what you pay for -- this is a valid rule of thumb throughout the
> whole life.

Amen !

As for the nics, Intel, Intel, nothing but intel. Since a couple of year, I
put nothing but intel nics in our servers. Most of them are on-board 8257*,
like 82575EB in our mos recent batch of server. Other add-on card are
pro1000 with chipset 82541PI.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Christopher Chan

On Thursday, December 02, 2010 03:28 AM, Steve Thompson wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Dec 2010, Timo Schoeler wrote:
>
>> Intel. Broadcom. That's what we use here w/o any issues; however, there
>> are some Intel NICs that are *not* able to handle Jumbo Frames due to an
>> internal design glitch.
>
> Seconded. I have a load of Intel 82576 and 82571EB's, and there have been
> no issues at all, including with Jumbo frames.

Please take note that some Intel 1G nics do not have jumbo frame support
at all. So you won't have issues with jumbo frames either way. The
question is whether there is jumbo frame support.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Steve Thompson

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010, Christopher Chan wrote:

> On Thursday, December 02, 2010 03:28 AM, Steve Thompson wrote:
>> On Wed, 1 Dec 2010, Timo Schoeler wrote:
>>
>>> Intel. Broadcom. That's what we use here w/o any issues; however, there
>>> are some Intel NICs that are *not* able to handle Jumbo Frames due to an
>>> internal design glitch.
>>
>> Seconded. I have a load of Intel 82576 and 82571EB's, and there have been
>> no issues at all, including with Jumbo frames.
>
> Please take note that some Intel 1G nics do not have jumbo frame support
> at all. So you won't have issues with jumbo frames either way. The
> question is whether there is jumbo frame support.

The Intel NICs that I mentioned, 82576 and 82571EB, are both in use in
DRBD replication links with an MTU of 9000. We usually configure each such
link as a point-to-point bonding pair (balance-rr), and get 1.95 Gb/s
throughput with iperf, and about 165 MB/sec with drbd (but of course the
latter is disk dependent). CentOS 5.5, x86_64, Dell PE2900 servers. Solid.

Steve

Old 12-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Ross Walker

On Dec 1, 2010, at 5:10 PM, Christopher Chan <christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

> On Thursday, December 02, 2010 03:28 AM, Steve Thompson wrote:
>> On Wed, 1 Dec 2010, Timo Schoeler wrote:
>>
>>> Intel. Broadcom. That's what we use here w/o any issues; however, there
>>> are some Intel NICs that are *not* able to handle Jumbo Frames due to an
>>> internal design glitch.
>>
>> Seconded. I have a load of Intel 82576 and 82571EB's, and there have been
>> no issues at all, including with Jumbo frames.
>>

> Please take note that some Intel 1G nics do not have jumbo frame support
> at all. So you won't have issues with jumbo frames either way. The
> question is whether there is jumbo frame support.

>From my memory those that don't do jumbo were "desktop" versions of the chipset.

I believe all current manufactured models support jumbo frames.

-Ross

Old 12-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Christopher Chan

On Thursday, December 02, 2010 07:50 AM, Ross Walker wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2010, at 5:10 PM, Christopher Chan<christopher.chan@bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

>>> Seconded. I have a load of Intel 82576 and 82571EB's, and there have been
>>> no issues at all, including with Jumbo frames.
>>>

>> Please take note that some Intel 1G nics do not have jumbo frame support
>> at all. So you won't have issues with jumbo frames either way. The
>> question is whether there is jumbo frame support.
>
>> From my memory those that don't do jumbo were "desktop" versions of the chipset.
>
> I believe all current manufactured models support jumbo frames.

The Desktop GT series certainly does not have jumbo frames. Not sure
about others.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Boris Epstein <borepstein@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks. Looks good.
>
> I just looked around - looks like manufacturers tend not to list the
> chipset in their NIC specifications (like here, for instance:
> http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=140_TEG-PCITXR&cat=14
> )

In fact, they lie. All sorts of add-on cards from various vendors,
with the same card "type" and model number, have different chipsets.

This has caused me endless grief in environments where my employer
refused to do normal kernel updates, and the new chipsets were only
compatible with the newer kernel.

> Is there a list somewhere out there listing what card features what chipset?
>
> It definitely looks like it is best to just stick to the better
> chipsets - might be a little more expensive but definitely worth the
> money.

See above, and yes.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:26 AM
Gordon Messmer

On 12/01/2010 11:17 AM, Timo Schoeler wrote:

> Intel. Broadcom. That's what we use here w/o any issues; however, there
> are some Intel NICs that are *not* able to handle Jumbo Frames due to an
> internal design glitch.

Specifically the 82573 chipsets, which are still fairly common on
motherboards.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:07 AM
Boris Epstein

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Gordon Messmer <yinyang@eburg.com> wrote:
> On 12/01/2010 11:17 AM, Timo Schoeler wrote:
>>
>> Intel. Broadcom. That's what we use here w/o any issues; however, there
>> are some Intel NICs that are *not* able to handle Jumbo Frames due to an
>> internal design glitch.
>
> Specifically the 82573 chipsets, which are still fairly common on
> motherboards.

That's good, but I am looking for expansion card NICs.

Boris.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:35 AM
Gordon Messmer

On 12/01/2010 06:07 PM, Boris Epstein wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Gordon Messmer<yinyang@eburg.com> wrote:
>> On 12/01/2010 11:17 AM, Timo Schoeler wrote:
>>>
>>> Intel. Broadcom. That's what we use here w/o any issues; however, there
>>> are some Intel NICs that are *not* able to handle Jumbo Frames due to an
>>> internal design glitch.
>>
>> Specifically the 82573 chipsets, which are still fairly common on
>> motherboards.
>
> That's good, but I am looking for expansion card NICs.

I may not have been clear. The Intel 82573 chipsets are faulty, and
should be avoided. I've mostly seen them on motherboards, but I have no
reason to believe you won't find them on expansion cards. Avoid them.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:45 AM
William Warren