FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-01-2010, 06:38 PM
 
Default fsck - and there was much rejoicing

Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 01, 2010 02:01:35 pm m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> Looks like the fsck bug has been stomped! I did a 960G drive this
>> morning,
>> and I'm 90% of the way through a 1.4T drive, both of which have *lots*
>> of
>> files and hard links, and it has *not* hung at 70.1%, and is running at
>> reasonable speed.
>
> Hey, let us know how long that 1.4T fsck takes if you don't mind.

Sure - I think it was an hour, or an hour and a quarter, but I may be
misremembering - it could have been before lunch, which would make it
about 2.25 hrs.
<snip>
mark


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Matty Sarro
 
Default fsck - and there was much rejoicing

Pardon my ignorance, but can you detail the bug a little more, or link to a
bug report? I'm unafamiliar

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 2:01 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

> Looks like the fsck bug has been stomped! I did a 960G drive this morning,
> and I'm 90% of the way through a 1.4T drive, both of which have *lots* of
> files and hard links, and it has *not* hung at 70.1%, and is running at
> reasonable speed.
>
> Thanks to the folks who got this one. I *really* needed to do this, esp.
> to our backup drives.
>
> mark
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>
--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 12-02-2010, 04:34 PM
 
Default fsck - and there was much rejoicing

Matty Sarro wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 2:01 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>
>> Looks like the fsck bug has been stomped! I did a 960G drive this
>> morning, and I'm 90% of the way through a 1.4T drive, both of which
have *lots*
>> of files and hard links, and it has *not* hung at 70.1%, and is running at
>> reasonable speed.
>>
>> Thanks to the folks who got this one. I *really* needed to do this, esp.
>> to our backup drives.

> Pardon my ignorance, but can you detail the bug a little more, or link to
> a bug report? I'm unafamiliar

Don't remember the bug report, but on large drives with a *lot* of files -
you know, the kind that you use to back up /home? - if you gave fsck a -C,
so you could see the progress, you knew that it got to, I forget if it was
70% or 70.1%, but at that point, it was dead. Never came back, even
leaving it overnight.

Interestingly enough, just today, there was a report of a bugfix for
e2fsprogs, and one of those may have sounded like it was related.

mark

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 12-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Matty Sarro
 
Default fsck - and there was much rejoicing

Awesome, thanks for the explanation! Glad to hear its working now

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 12:34 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

> Matty Sarro wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 2:01 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
> >
> >> Looks like the fsck bug has been stomped! I did a 960G drive this
> >> morning, and I'm 90% of the way through a 1.4T drive, both of which
> have *lots*
> >> of files and hard links, and it has *not* hung at 70.1%, and is running
> at
> >> reasonable speed.
> >>
> >> Thanks to the folks who got this one. I *really* needed to do this, esp.
> >> to our backup drives.
>
> > Pardon my ignorance, but can you detail the bug a little more, or link to
> > a bug report? I'm unafamiliar
>
> Don't remember the bug report, but on large drives with a *lot* of files -
> you know, the kind that you use to back up /home? - if you gave fsck a -C,
> so you could see the progress, you knew that it got to, I forget if it was
> 70% or 70.1%, but at that point, it was dead. Never came back, even
> leaving it overnight.
>
> Interestingly enough, just today, there was a report of a bugfix for
> e2fsprogs, and one of those may have sounded like it was related.
>
> mark
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>
--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:17 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org