Old 12-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Boris Epstein

Default 1 Gbit/s Ethernet NIC under CentOS

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Gilbert Sebenste
<sebenste@weather.admin.niu.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Dec 2010, Steve Thompson wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 1 Dec 2010, Timo Schoeler wrote:
>>
>>> Intel. Broadcom. That's what we use here w/o any issues; however, there
>>> are some Intel NICs that are *not* able to handle Jumbo Frames due to an
>>> internal design glitch.
>>
>> Seconded. I have a load of Intel 82576 and 82571EB's, and there have been
>> no issues at all, including with Jumbo frames.
>
> Thirded. :-) Same thing here, even with generic Intel 1 GB Ethernet cards.

Thanks. Looks good.

I just looked around - looks like manufacturers tend not to list the
chipset in their NIC specifications (like here, for instance:
http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=140_TEG-PCITXR&cat=14
)

Is there a list somewhere out there listing what card features what chipset?

It definitely looks like it is best to just stick to the better
chipsets - might be a little more expensive but definitely worth the
money.

Thanks.

Boris.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:35 PM

Boris Epstein wrote:
> Hello listmates,
>
> As some of you may know we have been having a really bad problem with
> Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 cards. See here for details:
>
> http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?24,140124,140224
>
> So now my question is, what PCI 1 Gbit/s Ethernet adapters should I
> use under CentOS? If you have had a consistent positive experience
> with any particular chipset/brand please speak up.

I *think* most of our servers have Broadcoms.

mark

Old 12-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Timo Schoeler

On 12/01/2010 08:33 PM, Boris Epstein wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Gilbert Sebenste
> <sebenste@weather.admin.niu.edu> wrote:

>>> Seconded. I have a load of Intel 82576 and 82571EB's, and there have been
>>> no issues at all, including with Jumbo frames.
>>
>> Thirded. :-) Same thing here, even with generic Intel 1 GB Ethernet cards.

> Thanks. Looks good.
>
> I just looked around - looks like manufacturers tend not to list the
> chipset in their NIC specifications (like here, for instance:
> http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=140_TEG-PCITXR&cat=14
> )
>
> Is there a list somewhere out there listing what card features what chipset?
>
> It definitely looks like it is best to just stick to the better
> chipsets - might be a little more expensive but definitely worth the
> money.

You get what you pay for -- this is a valid rule of thumb throughout the
whole life.

> Thanks.
>
> Boris.

Timo