Old 12-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Boris Epstein

Default 1 Gbit/s Ethernet NIC under CentOS

Hello listmates,

As some of you may know we have been having a really bad problem with
Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 cards. See here for details:

http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?24,140124,140224

So now my question is, what PCI 1 Gbit/s Ethernet adapters should I
use under CentOS? If you have had a consistent positive experience
with any particular chipset/brand please speak up.

Thanks.

Boris.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Timo Schoeler

On 12/01/2010 08:12 PM, Boris Epstein wrote:
> Hello listmates,
>
> As some of you may know we have been having a really bad problem with
> Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 cards. See here for details:
>
> http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?24,140124,140224
>
> So now my question is, what PCI 1 Gbit/s Ethernet adapters should I
> use under CentOS? If you have had a consistent positive experience
> with any particular chipset/brand please speak up.

Well, Realcrap is known to be crap everywhere. Ask the OpenBSD guys.

Intel. Broadcom. That's what we use here w/o any issues; however, there
are some Intel NICs that are *not* able to handle Jumbo Frames due to an
internal design glitch.

HTH,

Timo

Old 12-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Steve Thompson

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010, Timo Schoeler wrote:

> Intel. Broadcom. That's what we use here w/o any issues; however, there
> are some Intel NICs that are *not* able to handle Jumbo Frames due to an
> internal design glitch.

Seconded. I have a load of Intel 82576 and 82571EB's, and there have been
no issues at all, including with Jumbo frames.

Steve

Old 12-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Gilbert Sebenste

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010, Steve Thompson wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Dec 2010, Timo Schoeler wrote:
>
>> Intel. Broadcom. That's what we use here w/o any issues; however, there
>> are some Intel NICs that are *not* able to handle Jumbo Frames due to an
>> internal design glitch.
>
> Seconded. I have a load of Intel 82576 and 82571EB's, and there have been
> no issues at all, including with Jumbo frames.

Thirded. :-) Same thing here, even with generic Intel 1 GB Ethernet cards.