Old 12-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Johan Scheepers

Default centos 5.5 - using mp3

Good day,

Been googling about this matter.
Afraid I am now confused.
Too many options..: for/against/whatever.
Some is years ago.

Kindly please a step x step manner in which to accomplish to enable mp3
please.
Thanks
Johan

Old 12-01-2010, 02:15 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html

Step-by-step mp3 play

http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/dag/packages/xmms/

Also works

You may try
rpm -Uhv
http://apt.sw.be/packages/rpmforge-release/rpmforge-release-0.3.6-1.el5.
rf.i386.rpm
Then
yum install xmms xmms-skins xmms-mp3
yum install gstreamer-plugins-bad
yum install gstreamer-plugins-ugly

Another path to the answer
ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/rpm.livna.org/fedora/6/i386/audacious-plugins
-nonfree-mp3-1.3.2-1.lvn6.i386.rpm
ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/fed
ora/linux/extras/6/i386/audacious-plugins-1.3.3-1.fc6.i386.rpm
ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/fed
ora/linux/extras/6/i386/audacious-1.3.2-1.fc6.i386.rpm
ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/e
xtras/6/i386/audacious-libs-1.3.2-1.fc6.i386.rpm

I'm sorry you asked a question to which there are MANY correct answers.
Here at work I'm stuck with a windows box and a sounless centos box; at
home my centos box just plays what I tell it to so I have no
recollection of exactly what I did (besides install and upgrade all) to
get as happy as I am.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:21 PM

Johan Scheepers wrote:
> Good day,
>
> Been googling about this matter.
> Afraid I am now confused.
> Too many options..: for/against/whatever.
> Some is years ago.
>
> Kindly please a step x step manner in which to accomplish to enable mp3
> please.

Install mplayer. There are a number of front-ends to it, as well.

mark

Old 12-01-2010, 05:19 PM
cybernet

centOS 5.5 is for servers not for desktops, please get use to thatuse another distribution like ... a very popular one for desktops

Old 12-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Timo Schoeler

On 12/01/2010 07:19 PM, cybernet wrote:
> centOS 5.5 is for servers not for desktops, please get use to that
> use another distribution like ... a very popular one for desktops

Sorry, but this is nonsense. I myself run CentOS on my workstation at
the office (heaviest duty network admin, I wouldn't want any other Linux
distro running there) as well as at home. Ah, yes, and I even watch
videos there. And use Flash(tm)!

Cheers...

Old 12-01-2010, 05:28 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

Behalf Of cybernet
>> Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 1:20 PM
>> To: CentOS mailing list
>> Subject: Re: [CentOS] centos 5.5 - using mp3

>> centOS 5.5 is for servers not for desktops,

Says who? Says where?

I think the majority of the posters here use Centos as their desktop for
reading and posting in this list.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:32 PM
"Scot P. Floess"

For my VMs I definitely use CentOS for anything graphical - like a
desktop... Of course, my bare metal box @ home is running F14...

I think when CentOS 6 is released, that may not be even close to true
I'm running RHEL 6 @ work as my desktop - it has a fairly decent version
of KDE (4.3 specifically) - and this is on a laptop -> its great

--
Scot P. Floess

RHCT (Certificate Number 605010084735240)

Chief Architect FlossWare http://sourceforge.net/projects/flossware
http://flossware.sourceforge.net
https://github.com/organizations/FlossWare

Chief Architect JPlate http://sourceforge.net/projects/jplate
Chief Architect Keros http://sourceforge.net/projects/keros

Old 12-01-2010, 05:34 PM

cybernet wrote:
> centOS 5.5 is for servers not for desktops, please get use to that
> use another distribution like ... a very popular one for desktops

Why? We use it a lot, here where I work, and I use it at home - a) I like
real stability, and b) I don't want to have to think about the differences
between the machine I use all day at work, and what I need to do on my
system at home. And mplayer works just fine at both.

mark

Old 12-01-2010, 05:45 PM
samuel machua

If you use the rpmforge repo you can also get VLC too and between
Mplayer and VLC I have not found an audio format they wont play.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Lamar Owen

On Wednesday, December 01, 2010 10:04:58 am Johan Scheepers wrote:
> Kindly please a step x step manner in which to accomplish to enable mp3
> please.

The Fluendo MP3 decode plugin for gstreamer is no-cost, and is fully licensed for MP3 playback. It should work for any gstreamer-enabled player. It's license is non-free, so if that's a problem.....

Since most of my CentOS boxes are servers, and those CentOS workstations I do have don't have or use sound, I haven't tested the Fluendo MP3 plugin on CentOS, but the RPM installs fine on a box here.

I purchased and use the Fluendo codec pack here, since even though I'm the one responsible for the licensing and patent compliance audits, fudging the rules just seems wrong for me, and comes across as hypocritical when I catch someone else fudging on licensing of software. Same with DVD playback; the Fluendo player, while spartan, is fully legal to use watching encrypted DVD content on Linux.

While the MP3 playback plugin is no cost, the full codec pack and the DVD player do have a price, much like the same things on Windows, although I sure wish I could convert all those PowerDVD licenses I got with DVD drives from Windows to Linux for no cost, but, oh well.