Old 12-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Adam Tauno Williams

Default tmpfs says "No space left on device"

I have a server where we use tmpfs as a cache for temporary files used
by a web application. But occasionally this tmpfs thinks it is full
when it isn't.

[root@flask-yellow tmpfs]# touch file
touch: cannot touch `file': No space left on device
[root@flask-yellow tmpfs]# df -k
none 393216 19296 373920 5% /srv/tmpfs

Simply unmounting and remounting /srv/tmpfs resolves the issue.

2.6.18-164.11.1.el5

Any suggestions as to the cause of this or workarounds are appreciated.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:17 PM
James Hogarth

On 1 December 2010 14:13, Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@whitemice.org> wrote:
> I have a server where we use tmpfs as a cache for temporary files used
> by a web application. *But occasionally this tmpfs thinks it is full
> when it isn't.
>
> [root@flask-yellow tmpfs]# touch file
> touch: cannot touch `file': No space left on device
> [root@flask-yellow tmpfs]# df -k
> Filesystem * * * * * 1K-blocks * * *Used Available Use% Mounted on
> none * * * * * * * * * *393216 * * 19296 * *373920 * 5% /srv/tmpfs
>
> Simply unmounting and remounting /srv/tmpfs resolves the issue.
>
> 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5
>
> Any suggestions as to the cause of this or workarounds are appreciated.

Webserver process holding the file handles open so that the space
doesn't get released maybe?

Old 12-01-2010, 01:18 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

What does lsof show regarding file open on this device? I'm thinking
files opened, then unlinked, but file descriptors not yet closed.