-   -   tmpfs says "No space left on device" (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/459912-tmpfs-says-no-space-left-device.html)

Adam Tauno Williams 12-01-2010 01:13 PM

tmpfs says "No space left on device"

I have a server where we use tmpfs as a cache for temporary files used
by a web application. But occasionally this tmpfs thinks it is full
when it isn't.

[root@flask-yellow tmpfs]# touch file
touch: cannot touch `file': No space left on device
[root@flask-yellow tmpfs]# df -k
none 393216 19296 373920 5% /srv/tmpfs

Simply unmounting and remounting /srv/tmpfs resolves the issue.

2.6.18-164.11.1.el5

Any suggestions as to the cause of this or workarounds are appreciated.

James Hogarth 12-01-2010 01:17 PM

On 1 December 2010 14:13, Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@whitemice.org> wrote:
> I have a server where we use tmpfs as a cache for temporary files used
> by a web application. *But occasionally this tmpfs thinks it is full
> when it isn't.
>
> [root@flask-yellow tmpfs]# touch file
> touch: cannot touch `file': No space left on device
> [root@flask-yellow tmpfs]# df -k
> Filesystem * * * * * 1K-blocks * * *Used Available Use% Mounted on
> none * * * * * * * * * *393216 * * 19296 * *373920 * 5% /srv/tmpfs
>
> Simply unmounting and remounting /srv/tmpfs resolves the issue.
>
> 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5
>
> Any suggestions as to the cause of this or workarounds are appreciated.

Webserver process holding the file handles open so that the space
doesn't get released maybe?

"Brunner, Brian T." 12-01-2010 01:18 PM

tmpfs says "No space left on device"

What does lsof show regarding file open on this device? I'm thinking
files opened, then unlinked, but file descriptors not yet closed.