Old 11-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Pascal Robert

Default linux-2.6.18.tar.bz2 is missing

We have to rebuild our kernel to add support for a Mainpine fax board on a CentOS 5.5 board:

**http://www.hylafax.org/content/Handbook:Basic_Server_Configuration:Modem-specific_Guidance#Mainpine_IQ_Express

We followed all steps, but when calling*rpmbuild, we are getting:

**[root@hylafax SPECS]# rpmbuild -ba --target x86_64 kernel-2.6.spec
**Construction pour plate-formes cibles: x86_64***Construction pour cible x86_64*
**erreur:*Fichier /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/linux-2.6.18.tar.bz2: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
So it doesn't find linux-2.6.18.tar.bz2

We do have both the kernel-devel and kernel-headers packages installed, so I don't understand why that file is missing. Googling for "linux-2.6.18.tar.bz2 is missing" didn't bring any useful info. So where/how can we rebuild or get that archive?

Old 11-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Eero Volotinen

2010/11/30 Pascal Robert <probert@macti.ca>:
> We have to rebuild our kernel to add support for a Mainpine fax board on a
> CentOS 5.5 board:
>
> **http://www.hylafax.org/content/Handbook:Basic_Server_Configuration:Modem-specific_Guidance#Mainpine_IQ_Express
>
> We followed all steps, but when calling*rpmbuild, we are getting:
>
> **[root@hylafax SPECS]# rpmbuild -ba --target x86_64 kernel-2.6.spec
> **Construction pour plate-formes cibles: x86_64
> **Construction pour cible x86_64
> **erreur:*Fichier /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/linux-2.6.18.tar.bz2: Aucun
> fichier ou répertoire de ce type
> So it doesn't find linux-2.6.18.tar.bz2
>
> We do have both the kernel-devel and kernel-headers packages installed, so I
> don't understand why that file is missing. Googling for
> "linux-2.6.18.tar.bz2 is missing" didn't bring any useful info. So where/how
> can we rebuild or get that archive?

it is inside the kernel source .src.rpm package .. that one that you
downloaded and installed?

--
Eero

Old 11-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Pascal Robert

Le 2010-11-30 à 14:58, Eero Volotinen a écrit :

> 2010/11/30 Pascal Robert <probert@macti.ca>:
>> We have to rebuild our kernel to add support for a Mainpine fax board on a
>> CentOS 5.5 board:
>>
>> http://www.hylafax.org/content/Handbook:Basic_Server_Configuration:Modem-specific_Guidance#Mainpine_IQ_Express
>>
>> We followed all steps, but when calling rpmbuild, we are getting:
>>
>> [root@hylafax SPECS]# rpmbuild -ba --target x86_64 kernel-2.6.spec
>> Construction pour plate-formes cibles: x86_64
>> Construction pour cible x86_64
>> erreur: Fichier /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/linux-2.6.18.tar.bz2: Aucun
>> fichier ou répertoire de ce type
>> So it doesn't find linux-2.6.18.tar.bz2
>>
>> We do have both the kernel-devel and kernel-headers packages installed, so I
>> don't understand why that file is missing. Googling for
>> "linux-2.6.18.tar.bz2 is missing" didn't bring any useful info. So where/how
>> can we rebuild or get that archive?
>
> it is inside the kernel source .src.rpm package .. that one that you
> downloaded and installed?

Hum, right... Nothing to see here... This is what happen when a coworker told you that he did all the steps and you trust his words :-)

Old 11-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Eero Volotinen

2010/11/30 Pascal Robert <probert@macti.ca>:

> Le 2010-11-30 à 14:58, Eero Volotinen a écrit :
>
>> 2010/11/30 Pascal Robert <probert@macti.ca>:
>>> We have to rebuild our kernel to add support for a Mainpine fax board on a
>>> CentOS 5.5 board:
>>>
>>> * http://www.hylafax.org/content/Handbook:Basic_Server_Configuration:Modem-specific_Guidance#Mainpine_IQ_Express
>>>
>>> We followed all steps, but when calling rpmbuild, we are getting:
>>>
>>> * [root@hylafax SPECS]# rpmbuild -ba --target x86_64 kernel-2.6.spec
>>> * Construction pour plate-formes cibles: x86_64
>>> * Construction pour cible x86_64
>>> * erreur: Fichier /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/linux-2.6.18.tar.bz2: Aucun
>>> fichier ou répertoire de ce type
>>> So it doesn't find linux-2.6.18.tar.bz2
>>>
>>> We do have both the kernel-devel and kernel-headers packages installed, so I
>>> don't understand why that file is missing. Googling for
>>> "linux-2.6.18.tar.bz2 is missing" didn't bring any useful info. So where/how
>>> can we rebuild or get that archive?
>>
>> it is inside the kernel source .src.rpm package .. that one that you
>> downloaded and installed?
>
> Hum, right... Nothing to see here... This is what happen when a coworker told you that he did all the steps and you trust his words

--
Eero,
RHCE

Old 11-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Pascal Robert <probert@macti.ca> wrote:

>>> * [root@hylafax SPECS]# rpmbuild -ba --target x86_64 kernel-2.6.spec

You are building as root. This is a bad practice. When building a
CentOS custom kernel, please try following the instructions in:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel

Akemi

Old 11-30-2010, 08:00 PM
"Morten P.D. Stevens"

2010/11/30 Akemi Yagi <amyagi@gmail.com>:

> You are building as root. This is a bad practice. When building a
> CentOS custom kernel, please try following the instructions in:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel

I suggest to use mock for building CentOS/RHEL or fedora packages.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Projects/Mock

For example:

mock -r epel-5-x86_64 --rebuild kernel.src.rpm

Best regards,

Morten