Old 11-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Matt

Default Converting to Raid1

Have a CentOS 4.x 32 bit server running on a single 500M SATA drive.
What is easiest way to convert too RAID 1 on it? Anyone have a link?
Would be open to hardware or software just do not want to reinstall
the entire mess.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:17 PM
John Kennedy

Have a CentOS 4.x 32 bit server running on a single 500M SATA drive.

What is easiest way to convert too RAID 1 on it? *Anyone have a link?

Would be open to hardware or software just do not want to reinstall

the entire mess.

Why would you mirror a single disk? You need to get another 500Gb hard drive to mirror with.
Once you get the second drive, you need to make sure LVM is installed. I think you then need to add your partitions as physical drives and partition the new drive to match your existing one. Add the new drive partitions as physical drives and pair them up.

How difficult it is depends on your current set up.
John
--
*John Kennedy

Old 11-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Robert Spangler

On Tuesday 30 November 2010 11:59, Matt wrote:

> Have a CentOS 4.x 32 bit server running on a single 500M SATA drive.
> What is easiest way to convert too RAID 1 on it? Anyone have a link?
> Would be open to hardware or software just do not want to reinstall
> the entire mess.

http://tinyurl.com/3659gcx

You are aware that you are going to need 2 partitions of equal size for the
mirror?

--

Regards
Robert

Linux
The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
Get Counted
http://counter.li.org/

Old 12-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Tom H

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 12:17 PM, John Kennedy <skebi69@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:59, Matt <lm7812@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Have a CentOS 4.x 32 bit server running on a single 500M SATA drive.
>> What is easiest way to convert too RAID 1 on it? *Anyone have a link?
>> Would be open to hardware or software just do not want to reinstall
>> the entire mess.

> Why would you mirror a single disk? You need to get another 500Gb hard drive
> to mirror with.

+1

> Once you get the second drive, you need to make sure LVM is installed.

Not really. You can choose not to use LVM.

> I think you then need to add your partitions as physical drives and partition
> the new drive to match your existing one.

I don't understand the above. Basically both disks have to be
partitioned in the same way and, assuming that sda is the current disk
and sdb is the new disk, you can do so with "sfdisk -d /dev/sda |
sfdisk /dev/sdb".