Old 11-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Timothy Murphy

Default Samsung CLP-325W network connection?

Anyone got this working over a LAN under CentOS?
The instructions claim it is easy to connect
after pressing the WPS button on printer and router.

Sadly, I don't see a WPS button on my Linksys WRT54GL router.
When I press the WPS button on the printer
the WiFi icon flashes,
but I don't see any attempt to connect in /var/log/messages
on my CentOS-5.5 server.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 11-29-2010, 07:32 PM
Eero Volotinen

2010/11/29 Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net>:
> Anyone got this working over a LAN under CentOS?
> The instructions claim it is easy to connect
> after pressing the WPS button on printer and router.
>
> Sadly, I don't see a WPS button on my Linksys WRT54GL router.
> When I press the WPS button on the printer
> the WiFi icon flashes,
> but I don't see any attempt to connect in /var/log/messages
> on my CentOS-5.5 server.

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Samsung/Samsung-CLP-325w

at least printer is supported. You should configure wlan by hand..

--
Eero

Old 11-29-2010, 07:49 PM
John R Pierce

On 11/29/10 11:50 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Anyone got this working over a LAN under CentOS?
> The instructions claim it is easy to connect
> after pressing the WPS button on printer and router.
>
> Sadly, I don't see a WPS button on my Linksys WRT54GL router.

thats not going to do anything if your router doesn't support 'wifi
protected setup'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup

> When I press the WPS button on the printer
> the WiFi icon flashes,
> but I don't see any attempt to connect in /var/log/messages
> on my CentOS-5.5 server.

why would you? it hasn't gotten on the wireless yet, so your server
can't possibly see it.

does this printer have any other connectivity options? if its got
ethernet, maybe you can plug it in via ethernet, and then access its
wireless configuration and manually set it up

Old 11-29-2010, 08:16 PM
fred smith

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 07:50:45PM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Anyone got this working over a LAN under CentOS?
> The instructions claim it is easy to connect
> after pressing the WPS button on printer and router.
>
> Sadly, I don't see a WPS button on my Linksys WRT54GL router.

I'm not at home right now where I can go look, but I think MY wrt54gl
has a WPS button. I've never found a use for it, however, as I always
configure things by hand so I know what they're set to.

As someone else has already suggested, if you can access the printer
via hard-wired network, you can set it up the way you want instead
of the way some marketing-droid thinks he'd like you to do it.

> When I press the WPS button on the printer
> the WiFi icon flashes,
> but I don't see any attempt to connect in /var/log/messages
> on my CentOS-5.5 server.
>
> Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.
>
> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."

Old 12-01-2010, 01:19 AM
Timothy Murphy

fred smith wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 07:50:45PM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Anyone got this working over a LAN under CentOS?
>> The instructions claim it is easy to connect
>> after pressing the WPS button on printer and router.
>>
>> Sadly, I don't see a WPS button on my Linksys WRT54GL router.
>
> I'm not at home right now where I can go look, but I think MY wrt54gl
> has a WPS button. I've never found a use for it,

I've looked carefully, and I'm pretty sure there is no such button
on my WRT54GL; the only button is called Reset.

> As someone else has already suggested, if you can access the printer
> via hard-wired network, you can set it up the way you want instead
> of the way some marketing-droid thinks he'd like you to do it.

I've installed the UnifiedLinuxDriver_1.07 from Samsung,
and this allows me to setup (and use) the printer
after connecting to my router with ethernet,
and then I can access the printer web-page
at the IP address (192.168.2.33) given by dhcpd on my LAN.

Unfortunately this web-page does not indicate any way
of connecting the printer by WiFi.

It seems to me that I shall have to run Windows on my server,
at least temporarily, to setup this printer as a WiFi device.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:21 AM
Timothy Murphy

John R Pierce wrote:

>> The instructions claim it is easy to connect
>> after pressing the WPS button on printer and router.
>>
>> Sadly, I don't see a WPS button on my Linksys WRT54GL router.

> does this printer have any other connectivity options?

It does; I have set it up using an Ethernet connection to my router.

> if its got
> ethernet, maybe you can plug it in via ethernet, and then access its
> wireless configuration and manually set it up

Unfortunately, I don't see any way of setting up a wireless configuration
even though I can access the printer's web-page at its IP address.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:26 AM
Timothy Murphy

Eero Volotinen wrote:

>> Anyone got this working over a LAN under CentOS?

> http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Samsung/Samsung-CLP-325w
>
> at least printer is supported.

I did read this web-page.
Unfortunately the author does not say whether he/she
configured the printer to work through WiFi.

> You should configure wlan by hand..

How, exactly?

Old 12-01-2010, 01:49 AM
John R Pierce

On 11/30/10 6:26 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

>> You should configure wlan by hand..
> How, exactly?

probably by hooking the printer up to ethernet, finding its IP address
(maybe on a self-test printout?) then connecting to its IP with
whatever configuration management they offer (my Brother has a webserver
in it), and setup the wireless for whatever you use (WPA-PSK, the
passkey, the SSID, etc), then see if you can disconnect the ethernet and
it comes up on wireless.

then you'd need to find the IP its been assigned on wireless, and point
the Linux print drivers at that IP.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:55 AM
fred smith

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 02:19:21AM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 07:50:45PM +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> >> Anyone got this working over a LAN under CentOS?
> >> The instructions claim it is easy to connect
> >> after pressing the WPS button on printer and router.
> >>
> >> Sadly, I don't see a WPS button on my Linksys WRT54GL router.
> >
> > I'm not at home right now where I can go look, but I think MY wrt54gl
> > has a WPS button. I've never found a use for it,
>
> I've looked carefully, and I'm pretty sure there is no such button
> on my WRT54GL; the only button is called Reset.

I'm at home now, so I just took a look at my wrt54gl and you're
right, nothing labeled WPS. but it has something labeled "easy
secure setup" which may , or may not, be the same thing. whatever
it is, I've never used it.

> > As someone else has already suggested, if you can access the printer
> > via hard-wired network, you can set it up the way you want instead
> > of the way some marketing-droid thinks he'd like you to do it.
>
> I've installed the UnifiedLinuxDriver_1.07 from Samsung,
> and this allows me to setup (and use) the printer
> after connecting to my router with ethernet,
> and then I can access the printer web-page
> at the IP address (192.168.2.33) given by dhcpd on my LAN.
>
> Unfortunately this web-page does not indicate any way
> of connecting the printer by WiFi.
>
> It seems to me that I shall have to run Windows on my server,
> at least temporarily, to setup this printer as a WiFi device.

there's gotta be a way. or one would think so. Does the MFG
provide any user forums where you might find a solution?

The Lord detests the way of the wicked