Old 11-29-2010, 04:02 PM
Johan Scheepers

Default centos 5.5 - which partition manager installed

Good day,

Gparted is not available on my installation.

Which patition tool is available in centos 5.5 please.

Thanks
Johan

Old 11-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Robert Heller

> Good day,
>
> Gparted is not available on my installation.
>
> Which patition tool is available in centos 5.5 please.

fdisk, sfdisk, parted, kpartx, and pyparted.

fdisk is not recomended for really large disks since it only handles
DOS partition tables -- use parted to create GPT partition tables.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Keith Roberts

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010, Johan Scheepers wrote:

> To: centos <centos@centos.org>
> From: Johan Scheepers <johansche@telkomsa.net>
> Subject: [CentOS] centos 5.5 - which partition manager installed
>
> Good day,
>
> Gparted is not available on my installation.
>
> Which patition tool is available in centos 5.5 please.

Hi Johan.

It's available from rpmforge repository:

Installed Packages
Name : gparted
Arch : i386
Version : 0.4.8
Release : 4.el5.rf
Size : 3.4 M
Repo : installed
is a graphical frontend
: to libparted. Among other features it supports
creating, resizing,
: moving and copying of partitions. Also several
(optional) filesystem
: tools provide support for filesystems not
included in libparted.
: These optional packages will be detected at
runtime and don't require
: a rebuild of GParted

As well as installing it from the above, I'd recommend
getting the live CD from the Gparted website:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

As this is handy for preparing your hard drive, before doing
a fresh installation of Linux. Some things are not possible
when using Gparted from a working Linux installation.

As the Gparted CD runs from memory, you can do anything you
want to any partition using this.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

in practice they are not.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Rudi Ahlers

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 7:02 PM, Johan Scheepers <johansche@telkomsa.net> wrote:
> Good day,
>
> Gparted is not available on my installation.
>
> Which patition tool is available in centos 5.5 please.
>
> Thanks
> Johan

Have you tried to see what other tools are installed?
And, have you tried to install gparted?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 11-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Lars Hecking

> fdisk, sfdisk, parted, kpartx, and pyparted.
>
> fdisk is not recomended for really large disks since it only handles
> DOS partition tables -- use parted to create GPT partition tables.

I prefer GPT fdisk for that and rolled my own rpm ...

Old 11-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Johan Scheepers

Robert Heller wrote:

>> Good day,
>>
>> Gparted is not available on my installation.
>>
>> Which patition tool is available in centos 5.5 please.
>
> fdisk, sfdisk, parted, kpartx, and pyparted.
>
> fdisk is not recomended for really large disks since it only handles
> DOS partition tables -- use parted to create GPT partition tables.
>
>> Thanks
>> Johan

Thanks. I was looking for a graphical tool
Johan

Old 11-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Johan Scheepers

Old 11-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Johan Scheepers

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 7:02 PM, Johan Scheepers <johansche@telkomsa.net> wrote:
>> Good day,
>>
>> Gparted is not available on my installation.
>>
>> Which patition tool is available in centos 5.5 please.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Johan
>>

> Have you tried to see what other tools are installed?
> And, have you tried to install gparted?

Now busy installing it.
Thanks
Johan

Old 11-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Johan Scheepers

Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2010, Johan Scheepers wrote:
>
>> To: centos <centos@centos.org>
>> From: Johan Scheepers <johansche@telkomsa.net>
>> Subject: [CentOS] centos 5.5 - which partition manager installed
>>
>> Good day,
>>
>> Gparted is not available on my installation.
>>
>> Which patition tool is available in centos 5.5 please.
>
> Hi Johan.
>
> It's available from rpmforge repository:
>
> Installed Packages
> Name : gparted
> Arch : i386
> Version : 0.4.8
> Release : 4.el5.rf
> Size : 3.4 M
> Repo : installed
> is a graphical frontend
> : to libparted. Among other features it supports
> creating, resizing,
> : moving and copying of partitions. Also several
> (optional) filesystem
> : tools provide support for filesystems not
> included in libparted.
> : These optional packages will be detected at
> runtime and don't require
> : a rebuild of GParted
>
> As well as installing it from the above, I'd recommend
> getting the live CD from the Gparted website:
>
> http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
>
> As this is handy for preparing your hard drive, before doing
> a fresh installation of Linux. Some things are not possible
> when using Gparted from a working Linux installation.
>
> As the Gparted CD runs from memory, you can do anything you
> want to any partition using this.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Keith Roberts

Busy installing gparted fron centos repos.
Thanks
Johan

Old 11-30-2010, 04:09 AM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Johan Scheepers
<johansche@telkomsa.net> wrote:
> Good day,
>
> Gparted is not available on my installation.
>
> Which patition tool is available in centos 5.5 please.
>
> Thanks
> Johan

gparted is just the "Gnome" GUI for parted. "parted" works very well
at the command line, and has options that the Gnome utility lacks,
such as block alignment for NFS OS images residing on 4096 byte block
NetApps. (Ask if you're curious, but parted is your friend for this.)