Old 11-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Keith Roberts

Default Minimising disk I/O

I'd like to get disk I/O down to a minimum for my new Centos
5.5 installation.

The machine will not be used as a web server anymore, as
that's now hosted on a cloud platform. So there are no HTTP
requests coming down the line.

If I move the SWAP partition and /var/log/ to a small spare
drive, and install Centos on the new larger drive, is there
anything else that would cause disk activity on the main
drive, when the machine is running but not in use?

fetchmail will be collecting my email hourly, but I'd like
the drive to spin down and go into hibernate mode if
possible.

I have a backup drive that gets woken up once an hour to
backup email, and also during the night to make backups
of specified directories every 24 hours.

Apart from that, the drive is not in use, unless I run a
backup script manually.

So I'm hoping to do the same for the main drive if that's
posible?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

in practice they are not.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Blake Hudson

I would suggest looking at articles that focus on laptop power
consumption, they typically have a section dedicated to disk accesses
and how to spin the disk down as much as possible since this has
traditionally been one of the better ways to minimize power consumption
on a laptop.

This article has some good tips - especially relating to processes that
might be accessing the disk frequently
http://www.spencerstirling.com/computergeek/powersaving.html

--Blake

Old 11-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Keith Roberts

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010, Blake Hudson wrote:

> From: Blake Hudson <blake@ispn.net>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Minimising disk I/O
>
> I would suggest looking at articles that focus on laptop power
> consumption, they typically have a section dedicated to disk accesses
> and how to spin the disk down as much as possible since this has
> traditionally been one of the better ways to minimize power consumption
> on a laptop.
>
> This article has some good tips - especially relating to processes that
> might be accessing the disk frequently
> http://www.spencerstirling.com/computergeek/powersaving.html
>
> --Blake

Hi Blake.

Thanks for that info.

I'll take a look at that.

Kind Regards,

Keith

in practice they are not.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Keith Roberts

I've added a second IDE card to my system on the PCI bus,
and added a small HDD on the Primary Master port for that
IDE card.

This drive shows up using the Gparted live CD as /dev/hde
Which sounds about right.

The other drives show up as /dev/hda (Primary Master) and
/dev/hdc (Secondary Master). /dev/hdb is an empty removable
drive caddy (Primary Slave) and /dev/hdd (Seconday Slave) is
the DVD-RW drive.

So I now have a maximum of 8 IDE ports - 4 on the IDE
controller built into the motherboard (which BTW are all
A-OK), and 4 on the IDE-PCI addon card.

Vivard on the Ultimate Boot CD recognises the /dev/hde
drive, as being on the PCI controller.

I was also able to format the 2GB Samsung drive on /dev/hde
as linux-swap using Gparted.

The largest spare drive I have is ~7 GB, which might be
enough for a linux-swap partition, and a /var/log partition.

The idea is to have any logging and other intensive disk I/O
on a spare disk drive, so as not wake up the main hard drive
with the Linux root partition on it.

I just want to write any 'disposable data' to a spare
hard disk drive, and keep this seperated from stuff on my
main root partition/linux installation.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

in practice they are not.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:35 AM
"Philix T.A"

Hi Keith,

Looks like the Swapping will happen once the PC memory is exhausted
1) So your point of placing SWAP place in another spare disk is a good decision
but we still have the Paging happening* which cant be avoided

2) Again moving the /var/log is another good part
but there are some locations under /var/* for eg /var/run which creates PID ,
*so why not moving /var/ to your spare instead of just moving /var/log

Just thoughts

Thanks
Philix