Old 11-27-2010, 08:38 PM
John R Pierce

Default yum is dumb in update of gmime & gmime-sharp

On 11/27/10 12:44 PM, ken wrote:
> This would seem like a bug... or why is yum trying to install package
> versions which are already installed?

this most frequently happens when you mix dependencies of different yum
repositories. I noted .rf in your output, RPM Forge, this has in my
experience caused conflicts with EPEL.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:31 AM
ken

On 11/27/2010 04:38 PM John R Pierce wrote:
> On 11/27/10 12:44 PM, ken wrote:
>> This would seem like a bug... or why is yum trying to install package
>> versions which are already installed?
>
> this most frequently happens when you mix dependencies of different yum
> repositories. I noted .rf in your output, RPM Forge, this has in my
> experience caused conflicts with EPEL.

John, I agree... that's pretty much when it happens (...not all the time
though).

What I don't understand is why yum can't see simply PACKAGE and VERSION
and see they're the same as what's already installed. That seems to me
to be a design flaw in yum.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:58 PM
William Hooper

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM, ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:
> # yum update
> --> Running transaction check
> --> Processing Dependency: gmime = 2.2.10-5.el5.centos for package:
> gmime-sharp
> ---> Package gmime20.i386 0:2.2.26-1.el5.rf set to be updated
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> gmime-sharp-2.2.10-5.el5.centos.i386 from installed has depsolving problems
> *--> Missing Dependency: gmime = 2.2.10-5.el5.centos is needed by
> package gmime-sharp-2.2.10-5.el5.centos.i386 (installed)
> Error: Missing Dependency: gmime = 2.2.10-5.el5.centos is needed by
> package gmime-sharp-2.2.10-5.el5.centos.i386 (installed)
>
> # rpm -q gmime gmime-sharp
> gmime-2.2.10-5.el5.centos
> gmime-sharp-2.2.10-5.el5.centos
>
> This would seem like a bug... or why is yum trying to install package
> versions which are already installed?

You need to take a closer look at what yum is trying to install. This
message is telling you yum won't update the package because it will
break a dependency on another installed package. I would guess that
you are either mixing repos, or one of the repos isn't internally
consistent.

I notice that you are using RPMForge, did you see the changes going on
there with RPMForge-Extras?
http://lists.rpmforge.net/pipermail/users/2010-November/003411.html

If the problem persists you will probably want to take it to the
RPMForge list (and provide the full yum output)

--
William Hooper

Old 11-28-2010, 08:00 PM
ken

On 11/28/2010 01:58 PM William Hooper wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM, ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:
>> # yum update
>> --> Running transaction check
>> --> Processing Dependency: gmime = 2.2.10-5.el5.centos for package:
>> gmime-sharp
>> ---> Package gmime20.i386 0:2.2.26-1.el5.rf set to be updated
>> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
>> gmime-sharp-2.2.10-5.el5.centos.i386 from installed has depsolving problems
>> --> Missing Dependency: gmime = 2.2.10-5.el5.centos is needed by
>> package gmime-sharp-2.2.10-5.el5.centos.i386 (installed)
>> Error: Missing Dependency: gmime = 2.2.10-5.el5.centos is needed by
>> package gmime-sharp-2.2.10-5.el5.centos.i386 (installed)
>>
>> # rpm -q gmime gmime-sharp
>> gmime-2.2.10-5.el5.centos
>> gmime-sharp-2.2.10-5.el5.centos
>>
>> This would seem like a bug... or why is yum trying to install package
>> versions which are already installed?
>
> You need to take a closer look at what yum is trying to install. This
> message is telling you yum won't update the package because it will
> break a dependency on another installed package.

yum's trying to install gmime20. This doesn't exist on my system.

What dependency would break by installing it?

> I would guess that
> you are either mixing repos, or one of the repos isn't internally
> consistent.

So is gmime-2.2.10-5.el5.centos on SF different from
gmime-2.2.10-5.el5.centos on other repos?

Is gmime-sharp-2.2.10-5.el5.centos on SF different from
gmime-sharp-2.2.10-5.el5.centos on other repos?

> I notice that you are using RPMForge, did you see the changes going on
> there with RPMForge-Extras?
> http://lists.rpmforge.net/pipermail/users/2010-November/003411.html

This page is quite vague, so much so that it's of little help.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:13 PM
William Hooper

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 4:00 PM, ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:
>> You need to take a closer look at what yum is trying to install. *This
>> message is telling you yum won't update the package because it will
>> break a dependency on another installed package.
>
> yum's trying to install gmime20. *This doesn't exist on my system.
>
> What dependency would break by installing it?

Looking at the RPMForge spec file for gmime20, it obsoletes any gmime
lower that it's version. You are trying to install gmime20.i386
0:2.2.26-1.el5.rf, which will remove gmime-2.2.10-5.el5.centos.
However, your currently installed gmime-sharp-2.2.10-5.el5.centos
requires gmime-2.2.10-5.el5.centos. You need to either remove
gmime-sharp-2.2.10-5.el5.centos or find an updated version that will
work with gmime20.i386 0:2.2.26-1.el5.rf.

--
William Hooper

Old 11-28-2010, 09:16 PM
William Hooper

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 5:12 PM, William Hooper <whooperhsd@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 4:00 PM, ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:
>>> You need to take a closer look at what yum is trying to install. *This
>>> message is telling you yum won't update the package because it will
>>> break a dependency on another installed package.
>>
>> yum's trying to install gmime20. *This doesn't exist on my system.
>>
>> What dependency would break by installing it?
>
> Looking at the RPMForge spec file for gmime20, it obsoletes any gmime lower that it's version. You are trying to install gmime20.i386 0:2.2.26-1.el5.rf, which will remove gmime-2.2.10-5.el5.centos. However, your currently installed gmime-sharp-2.2.10-5.el5.centos requires gmime-2.2.10-5.el5.centos. You need to either remove gmime-sharp-2.2.10-5.el5.centos or find an updated version that will work with gmime20.i386 0:2.2.26-1.el5.rf.

I thought this seemed familiar:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2010-March/092358.html

--
William Hooper

Old 11-29-2010, 03:13 PM
ken

On 11/28/2010 05:13 PM William Hooper wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 4:00 PM, ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:
>>> You need to take a closer look at what yum is trying to install. This
>>> message is telling you yum won't update the package because it will
>>> break a dependency on another installed package.
>> yum's trying to install gmime20. This doesn't exist on my system.
>>
>> What dependency would break by installing it?
>
> Looking at the RPMForge spec file for gmime20, it obsoletes any gmime
> lower that it's version. You are trying to install gmime20.i386
> 0:2.2.26-1.el5.rf, which will remove gmime-2.2.10-5.el5.centos.
> However, your currently installed gmime-sharp-2.2.10-5.el5.centos
> requires gmime-2.2.10-5.el5.centos. You need to either remove
> gmime-sharp-2.2.10-5.el5.centos or find an updated version that will
> work with gmime20.i386 0:2.2.26-1.el5.rf.

Thanks, WH. Given that all this hassle is over one app (tomboy) which
is by no means critical to my system and that I don't even use that
much, I just decided to get rid of it... and gmime and gmime-sharp along
with it. Problem solved.

The key to the puzzle for me was that, to install gmime20, it was
necessary to remove gmime. I never would have guessed that... seems
counter-intuitive to me... and the only way to find that out is to look
in the spec file????!! Or is there another way?

What in the spec file told you that?

Also... I know to look in the SPEC file by installing just the src, but
is there a shorter (another, better) way to look at it?

This is all academic to me at this point... just want to learn a bit
more about RPMs if you're up for sharing wisdom.

Thanks.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:33 PM
ken

On 11/28/2010 05:16 PM William Hooper wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 5:12 PM, William Hooper
> <whooperhsd@gmail.com> wrote:

Where was a message telling me that? (In my original post I included
the relevant output.) There wasn't anything there which said the
install of gmime20 necessitated removing another, different package.

>>> yum's trying to install gmime20. This doesn't exist on my
>>> system.
>>>
>>> What dependency would break by installing it?
>> Looking at the RPMForge spec file for gmime20, it obsoletes any
>> gmime lower that it's version. You are trying to install
>> gmime20.i386 0:2.2.26-1.el5.rf, which will remove
>> gmime-2.2.10-5.el5.centos. However, your currently installed
>> gmime-sharp-2.2.10-5.el5.centos requires gmime-2.2.10-5.el5.centos.
>> You need to either remove gmime-sharp-2.2.10-5.el5.centos or find
>> an updated version that will work with gmime20.i386
>> 0:2.2.26-1.el5.rf.
>
> I thought this seemed familiar:
>
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2010-March/092358.html

Yeah, maintaining this app (tomboy) has been more hassle than it's
worth. I think I just waited for gmime* updates to come out from a
different repo and installed those.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:07 PM
William Hooper

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 11:13 AM, ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:
> The key to the puzzle for me was that, to install gmime20, it was
> necessary to remove gmime. *I never would have guessed that... seems
> counter-intuitive to me... and the only way to find that out is to look
> in the spec file????!! *Or is there another way?

I believe if you tell yum to be more verbose it will tell you when one
package obsoletes another, but I can't remember off the top of my head
if you need "-v" or something with "-d".

> What in the spec file told you that?

The Obsoletes line:

Obsoletes: gmime <= %{version}-%{release}

> Also... I know to look in the SPEC file by installing just the src, but
> is there a shorter (another, better) way to look at it?

RPMForge is usually pretty good about having the spec files in their svn:

http://svn.rpmforge.net/viewvc/rpmforge/

However, I didn't see one for gmime20, so I just installed the srpm.

> This is all academic to me at this point... just want to learn a bit
> more about RPMs if you're up for sharing wisdom.

No problem. I've learned it by reading mailing lists and messing around myself.

--
William Hooper

Old 11-29-2010, 06:16 PM
William Hooper

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 11:33 AM, ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:
> Where was a message telling me that? *(In my original post I included
> the relevant output.) *There wasn't anything there which said the
> install of gmime20 necessitated removing another, different package.

I'll try to explain, but part of it just comes from experience.

---> Package gmime20.i386 0:2.2.26-1.el5.rf set to be updated

This is the package being installed.

--> Finished Dependency Resolution
gmime-sharp-2.2.10-5.el5.centos.i386 from installed has depsolving problems
--> Missing Dependency: gmime = 2.2.10-5.el5.centos is needed by
package gmime-sharp-2.2.10-5.el5.centos.i386 (installed)

The "from installed" means the that package in question (gmime-sharp)
is already installed. The assumption I made, since you provided the
output saying that gmime of an appropriate version was installed, is
that yum is saying the gmime version needed would be removed.
Checking the spec file and finding the obsoletes confirms that.

Yum used to give similar messages when you tried to "yum erase" a
package that would break dependencies. Newer versions of yum just
walk down the tree and offer to remove half the system, instead.

--
William Hooper