Old 11-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Keith Roberts

Default centos-5.5 VS Firefox 3.6.12

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010, fred smith wrote:

> To: centos@centos.org
> From: fred smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
> Subject: [CentOS] centos-5.5 VS Firefox 3.6.12
>
> My firefox auto-installed an update from 3.6.11 to 3.6.12 this morning,
> after which it gives this upon a restart attempt:
>
> Program received signal SIGBUS, Bus error.
> 0x00123c47 in memset () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
>
> while I dig deeper, wondering if anyone else has seen it and/or can suggest
> a fix.
>
> Thanks!

Not sure if this is relevant, but on Centos 5.5 when Firefox
(or libraries it uses) gets updated, it seems like a reboot
is necessary to get things in sync with each other.

Otherwise Firefox might be attempting to use wrong
libraries.

Just my own thoughts here.

Anyone else noticed this behaviour using FF ?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

in practice they are not.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:09 PM
fred smith

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 07:41:03PM +0000, Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2010, fred smith wrote:
>
> > To: centos@centos.org
> > From: fred smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
> > Subject: [CentOS] centos-5.5 VS Firefox 3.6.12
> >
> > My firefox auto-installed an update from 3.6.11 to 3.6.12 this morning,
> > after which it gives this upon a restart attempt:
> >
> > Program received signal SIGBUS, Bus error.
> > 0x00123c47 in memset () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
> >
> > while I dig deeper, wondering if anyone else has seen it and/or can suggest
> > a fix.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Not sure if this is relevant, but on Centos 5.5 when Firefox
> (or libraries it uses) gets updated, it seems like a reboot
> is necessary to get things in sync with each other.
>
> Otherwise Firefox might be attempting to use wrong
> libraries.
>
> Just my own thoughts here.
>
> Anyone else noticed this behaviour using FF ?

well, I haven't re-booted (and haven't observed, or at least noticed,
the behavior you mention), but I moved aside (renamed) the directory
where my firefox installs, downloaded 3.6.12 and installed it, and it
works fine. so I suppose it's possible we had a bad download, or as time
has marched by some kind of cruft has accumulated in the former firefox
directory. beats me.

at least it's working now.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------