-   -   simple website hit counter (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/458005-simple-website-hit-counter.html)

Frank Cox 11-26-2010 09:00 PM

simple website hit counter

Googling for this finds me a ton of stuff that doesn't actually do what I'm
looking for.

I want a simple hit counter cgi script of some kind that will increment a
counter on every page load but I want to access the counter from a different
page.

In other words, I don't want to have a visible hit counter on the webpage
itself. I want to have a different webpage that will show me the number.

Dave Stevens 11-26-2010 10:45 PM

simple website hit counter

On Friday, November 26, 2010 02:00:04 pm Frank Cox wrote:
> Googling for this finds me a ton of stuff that doesn't actually do what I'm
> looking for.
>
> I want a simple hit counter cgi script of some kind that will increment a
> counter on every page load but I want to access the counter from a
> different page.
>
> In other words, I don't want to have a visible hit counter on the webpage
> itself. I want to have a different webpage that will show me the number.

wouldn't webalyzer do that for you?

Dave

Keith Roberts 11-26-2010 11:04 PM

simple website hit counter

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010, Frank Cox wrote:

> To: centos@centos.org
> From: Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net>
> Subject: [CentOS] simple website hit counter
>
> Googling for this finds me a ton of stuff that doesn't actually do what I'm
> looking for.
>
> I want a simple hit counter cgi script of some kind that will increment a
> counter on every page load but I want to access the counter from a different
> page.
>
> In other words, I don't want to have a visible hit counter on the webpage
> itself. I want to have a different webpage that will show me the number.

Hi Frank.

Is this for one particular page, or every page on your site?

Regards,

Keith

in practice they are not.

Brian Mathis 11-26-2010 11:25 PM

simple website hit counter

On Nov 26, 2010, at 17:00, Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net> wrote:

> Googling for this finds me a ton of stuff that doesn't actually do what I'm
> looking for.
>
> I want a simple hit counter cgi script of some kind that will increment a
> counter on every page load but I want to access the counter from a different
> page.
>
> In other words, I don't want to have a visible hit counter on the webpage
> itself. I want to have a different webpage that will show me the number.

For much less effort you can setup Google Analytics and also get a lot more information. Otherwise, you should probably take a look at one of the reporting packages like AWstats that analyze the Apache logs. No one really uses those simple counters much anymore.

Patrick Lists 11-27-2010 12:20 AM

simple website hit counter

On 11/26/2010 11:00 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
> Googling for this finds me a ton of stuff that doesn't actually do what I'm
> looking for.
>
> I want a simple hit counter cgi script of some kind that will increment a
> counter on every page load but I want to access the counter from a different
> page.
>
> In other words, I don't want to have a visible hit counter on the webpage
> itself. I want to have a different webpage that will show me the number.

Have you looked at Piwiki? See http://piwik.org/

Regards,
Patrick

Frank Cox 11-27-2010 03:21 AM

simple website hit counter

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 00:04:35 +0000 (GMT)
Keith Roberts wrote:

> Is this for one particular page, or every page on your site?

A small business owner that has a webpage on a Centos webserver that I look
after asked me for a simple counter to count the number of hits that she gets
on her webpage (index.html).

Awstats and similar log analyzers provide far more information than she cares
about, understands or wants to see, and most of the hit counters that I can find
on a google search either put the count on the same page that is being counted,
or are trying to sell some kind of a third-party service.

I could probably write this thing myself if I have to but it seems so basic
that I figure I would be reinventing the wheel. I could read access.log and
count hits on a daily basis or something, but I'm not sure that I understand
the log structure well enough to do it right. There are several files names
index.html on that webserver and on a cursory examination it seems that a lot of
the time the initial hit on a website is logged as "/".

Frank Cox 11-27-2010 03:24 AM

simple website hit counter

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 02:20:01 +0100
Patrick Lists wrote:

> Have you looked at Piwiki? See http://piwik.org/

As with awstats, that looks like it does far more than just count hits on
index.html.

I've found a stack of comprehensive reporting tools, and I've also found a ton
of counters that put the number on the webpage that's being counted.

Unfortunately, I still haven't found a simple counter that puts the count on a
different webpage.

John Hinton 11-27-2010 03:32 AM

simple website hit counter

On 11/26/2010 11:24 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 02:20:01 +0100
> Patrick Lists wrote:
>
>> Have you looked at Piwiki? See http://piwik.org/
> As with awstats, that looks like it does far more than just count hits on
> index.html.
>
> I've found a stack of comprehensive reporting tools, and I've also found a ton
> of counters that put the number on the webpage that's being counted.
>
> Unfortunately, I still haven't found a simple counter that puts the count on a
> different webpage.

Webalizer comes with CentOS. I find it easy to enable and provides all
the basic stats one would need.

--
John Hinton
877-777-1407 ext 502

Frank Cox 11-27-2010 03:37 AM

simple website hit counter

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 23:32:07 -0500
John Hinton wrote:

> Webalizer comes with CentOS. I find it easy to enable and provides all
> the basic stats one would need.

As far as I'm aware, webalizer is a comprehensive reporting tool similar to
awstats. Which is a much bigger hammer than what I'm looking for.

Tommy E Craddock Jr 11-27-2010 04:03 AM

simple website hit counter

On Nov 26, 2010, at 11:37 PM, Frank Cox wrote:On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 23:32:07 -0500
John Hinton wrote:

Webalizer comes with CentOS. I find it easy to enable and provides all
the basic stats one would need.

As far as I'm aware, webalizer is a comprehensive reporting tool similar to
awstats. *Which is a much bigger hammer than what I'm looking for.

Hello,*
How about something like this:
http://www.abiglime.com/webmaster/articles/cgi/110497.htm
Perl script which shows the count. *You dont have to display it on the main page even, can set it up to display on a page only the customer has access to.*

Tommy CraddockSystems Administratortommy@hivelocity.netHivelocity.Net*Im pressive*Support*