Old 11-27-2010, 04:11 AM
Frank Cox

Default simple website hit counter

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 00:03:25 -0500
Tommy E Craddock Jr wrote:

> How about something like this:
>
> http://www.abiglime.com/webmaster/articles/cgi/110497.htm
>
> Perl script which shows the count. You dont have to display it on the main
> page even, can set it up to display on a page only the customer has access
> to.

In the immortal words of Wayne, "Schwing!"

That looks like it'll do the job.

Thanks!

Old 11-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Keith Roberts

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010, Frank Cox wrote:

> From: Frank Cox <theatre@sasktel.net>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] simple website hit counter
>
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 00:03:25 -0500
> Tommy E Craddock Jr wrote:
>
>> How about something like this:
>>
>> http://www.abiglime.com/webmaster/articles/cgi/110497.htm
>>
>> Perl script which shows the count. You dont have to display it on the main
>> page even, can set it up to display on a page only the customer has access
>> to.
>
> In the immortal words of Wayne, "Schwing!"
>
> That looks like it'll do the job.
>
> Thanks!

That looks OK to me as well.

I might be releasing some code on my website soon for the
download counter you can find at:

http://www.karsites.net/centos/anyuser/kickstart-PDF-manual.php

It's written in PHP 5, and uses a configurable OOP class,
and saves the download count for each file downloaded into
a simple 2 column SQLite3 database.

I've also written a PHP class that sends an email each time
somebody lands on a specifie page.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

in practice they are not.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:45 PM
Frank Cox

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 15:45:47 -0800
Dave Stevens wrote:

> wouldn't webalyzer do that for you?

Webalyzer would create a report containing a lot of data that I don't need.
All I want is a single number.

The perl script that Tommy Craddock found looks like it's just the thing. I'll
set it up over the course of this next week and see what develops.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:50 PM
John Hinton

On 11/26/2010 11:37 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 23:32:07 -0500
> John Hinton wrote:
>
>> Webalizer comes with CentOS. I find it easy to enable and provides all
>> the basic stats one would need.
> As far as I'm aware, webalizer is a comprehensive reporting tool similar to
> awstats. Which is a much bigger hammer than what I'm looking for.

You set it to run once per day against the logs for that website...
normally around midnight. The loads aren't that bad. The reporting I
think defaults to 12 months of stored data which is stored normally in a
directory in the web root for that website. That directory of course can
be protected by something like htaccess.

Most of the old hit counters counted 'hits' instead of pages. So if a
page had the text document and 9 graphics they counted as 10 'hits',
not 1 'page view'. It has been maybe 6 or 8 years since I've bothered
to look at these counters as they are pretty much antiques now.

--
John Hinton
877-777-1407 ext 502

Old 11-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Les Mikesell

On 11/27/10 9:45 AM, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 15:45:47 -0800
> Dave Stevens wrote:
>
>> wouldn't webalyzer do that for you?
>
> Webalyzer would create a report containing a lot of data that I don't need.
> All I want is a single number.

I've always liked analog as web log analyzer. It's fast and you can make it
generate as much or as little as you want - but it would normally be a
once-a-day run, not a live update.

> The perl script that Tommy Craddock found looks like it's just the thing. I'll
> set it up over the course of this next week and see what develops.

That may work for a small site. I wouldn't expect anything that locks a single
file for updates on every hit to scale well. And it means you need to have
somewhere that is writable by the web server which is not a great idea if you
can avoid it.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-27-2010, 10:34 PM
"Les Bell"

John Hinton <webmaster@ew3d.com> wrote:

You set it to run once per day against the logs for that website...
normally around midnight. The loads aren't that bad. The reporting I
think defaults to 12 months of stored data which is stored normally in a
directory in the web root for that website. That directory of course can
be protected by something like htaccess.
<<

Just a heads up: the Webalizer report logs are not managed by logrotate,
and will continue to accumulate indefinitely. I had a server fall over a
couple of months ago when /var filled up; after a little du'ing, I
discovered that the thing had three and a half years' worth of Webalizer
logs taking up a lot of space.

Best,

--- Les Bell
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]