Old 11-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Robert Spangler

Default Centos and Bridging

On Friday 26 November 2010 12:22, Eduardo Grosclaude wrote:

> > Presently I am running CentOS release 5.5 (Final). *I am looking to
> > setup bridging as I would like to setup some KVM virtual hosts on my
> > system as a
> >
> > Time to test if ping works:
> >> ~ $ ping -c3 192.168.1.254
> >> PING 192.168.1.254 (192.168.1.254) 56(84) bytes of data.
> >> ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
> >> ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
> >> ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
>
> Did you remember to brctl addif the regular interfaces?

Nope, that is what I had forgotten. Thnx

--

Regards
Robert

Linux
The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
Get Counted
http://counter.li.org/

Old 11-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Robert Spangler

On Friday 26 November 2010 12:27, Akemi Yagi wrote:

> I recommend you look at the documentaion available from
> docs.redhat.com. For setting up bridged networking, see:
>

> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html-single/Vi
>rtualization/index.html#sect-Virtualization-Network_Configuration-Bridged_ne
>tworking_with_libvirt

Thank you kindly for the link. I have some reading a head of me.

--

Regards
Robert

Linux
The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
Get Counted
http://counter.li.org/

Old 11-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Robert Spangler

On Friday 26 November 2010 12:28, Robert Heller wrote:

> > works before committing it to the config:
> > > brctl addbr br0
> > > ifconfig eth0 down
> > > ifconfig br0 192.168.1.100 up
> > > ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up
>
> brctl addif br0 eth0
>
> You need to add the physical interface(s) to the bridge interface.

Yes, thank you for this information. This is the set I had missed.

> You can set this up to go automagically like this:
>
> sauron.deepsoft.com% cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> # nVidia Corporation MCP77 Ethernet
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=static
> HWADDR=00:19:666:ED:93
> ONBOOT=yes
> BRIDGE=br0
>
> sauron.deepsoft.com% cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0
> DEVICE=br0
> TYPE=Bridge
> BOOTPROTO=static
> BROADCAST=192.168.250.255
> IPADDR=192.168.250.1
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=192.168.250.0
> ONBOOT=yes

Thnx again for this information.

--

Regards
Robert

Linux
The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
Get Counted
http://counter.li.org/

Old 11-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Robert Spangler
<mlists@zoominternet.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Presently I am running CentOS release 5.5 (Final). *I am looking to setup
> bridging as I would like to setup some KVM virtual hosts on my system as a
> test lab. *I am following the the instruction at this site

Don't bother.

The Qemu based tools in libvirt, and their implementation in
virt-manager, should be taken out back and forced to read Eric
Raymond's screed on open source interfaces (The Luxury of Ignorance).
Compatibility with arbitrary virtualization suites is not your friend
when it's done that badly. Simple operations, like "set up two disks
at first setup", are not possible from the GUI. This is one among
numerous utilities available from the command line setup tool that are
not accessible from the GUI: that's just a failure of GUI design.

KVM, itself, was unusable in my testing due to the "bridged network"
mishandling and its complete lack of a concept of failover for network
issues, particularly pair bonding for the server itself. PXE for the
clients was unusable, and it ran like a dyslexic on too many opiates,
slow, twitchy, and unpredicatable.

VMWare works well, even the free personal versions, and Xen used to
work well (although its purchase by Citrix has me concerned, I've not
played with it in 2 years now, and I'm very unhappy with libvirt.)

Old 11-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Alan Hodgson

On November 26, 2010 11:25:06 am Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> KVM, itself, was unusable in my testing due to the "bridged network"
> mishandling and its complete lack of a concept of failover for network
> issues, particularly pair bonding for the server itself. PXE for the
> clients was unusable, and it ran like a dyslexic on too many opiates,
> slow, twitchy, and unpredicatable.

The UI in RHEL 5/CentOS 5 is definitely very limited, but KVM does work with
all these things under the hood. In particular KVM seems to run fine on top of
a simple host bridge, which can in turn rely on a bonded interface. I have had
no problems with boot support, although I confess I don't use PXE - DHCP and
kickstart over the LAN work fine, though.

I do hope the interface implementation in RHEL 6 will be much more usable. I
don't mind doing things in XML files and command lines, but lots of people do.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:16 AM
Scott Robbins

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 02:12:04PM -0500, Robert Spangler wrote:
> On Friday 26 November 2010 12:27, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>
> > I recommend you look at the documentaion available from
> > docs.redhat.com. For setting up bridged networking, see:
> >

> > http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html-single/Vi
> >rtualization/index.html#sect-Virtualization-Network_Configuration-Bridged_ne
> >tworking_with_libvirt
>
> Thank you kindly for the link. I have some reading a head of me.

Much as I respect Akemi san, I would say, don't bother. It's the usual
poorly written RH documentation.

In contrast, there is the CentOS wiki, written by someone who actually
knows something about writing documentation that people can understand.
Oh....wait, it's me.

Actually, the KVM wiki article is very out of date, but the section on
bridging is applicable. The RH docs were so bad, that I still had to go
back to my own article.

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/KVM

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Old 11-27-2010, 01:09 AM
Akemi Yagi

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 02:12:04PM -0500, Robert Spangler wrote:
>> On Friday 26 November 2010 12:27, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>
>> > *I recommend you look at the documentaion available from
>> > *docs.redhat.com. For setting up bridged networking, see:

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html-single/Virtualization/index.html#sect-Virtualization-Network_Configuration-Bridged_networking_with_libvirt

> Much as I respect Akemi san, I would say, don't bother. *It's the usual
> poorly written RH documentation.
>
> In contrast, there is the CentOS wiki, written by someone who actually
> knows something about writing documentation that people can understand.
> Oh....wait, it's me.
>
> Actually, the KVM wiki article is very out of date, but the section on
> bridging is applicable. *The RH docs were so bad, that I still had to go
> back to my own article.
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/KVM

Mmm? I may not be the biggest fan of the Red Hat docs but I have to
give a good score to that one about bridged networking. I followed
the instructions in there and had no problem setting it up on my KVM
hosts.

It has couple of points the OP may need to know. One is that
NetworkManager needs to be disabled. The other is how to handle
iptables (OP disable it while troubleshooting).

Akemi

Old 11-27-2010, 01:47 AM
Scott Robbins

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 06:09:26PM -0800, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/KVM
>
> Mmm? I may not be the biggest fan of the Red Hat docs but I have to
> give a good score to that one about bridged networking. I followed
> the instructions in there and had no problem setting it up on my KVM
> hosts.
>
> It has couple of points the OP may need to know. One is that
> NetworkManager needs to be disabled. The other is how to handle
> iptables (OP disable it while troubleshooting).

Ah, aikawarazu, good point. Not using NetworkManager--to be honest, I
find it causes more problems than it solves, I was't aware of that.

(The wiki article does mention additions to iptables.)

Regrettably, however, I've found KVM to be somewhat of a disappointment.
(My own personal experience.) For any workstation, I'm finding
VMware-player to be the new contender, running guests faster than the
later VirtualBoxes and/or KVM, and for serious production, I

Old 11-27-2010, 04:23 AM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Alan Hodgson <ahodgson@simkin.ca> wrote:
> On November 26, 2010 11:25:06 am Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> KVM, itself, was unusable in my testing due to the "bridged network"
>> mishandling and its complete lack of a concept of failover for network
>> issues, particularly pair bonding for the server itself. PXE for the
>> clients was unusable, and it ran like a dyslexic on too many opiates,
>> slow, twitchy, and unpredicatable.
>
> The UI in RHEL 5/CentOS 5 is definitely very limited, but KVM does work with
> all these things under the hood. In particular KVM seems to run fine on top of
> a simple host bridge, which can in turn rely on a bonded interface. I have had
> no problems with boot support, although I confess I don't use PXE - DHCP and
> kickstart over the LAN work fine, though.

It is not merely "limited".

PXE is very common for server installations of brand new hardware, or
for remote KVM managed hardware, to avoid having to pop a CD in it.
It's well undertood, and I got nowhere, even with it for KVM. (VMWare
and Xen worked fine.)

Old 11-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Natxo Asenjo

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 6:23 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Alan Hodgson <ahodgson@simkin.ca> wrote:
>> On November 26, 2010 11:25:06 am Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>> KVM, itself, was unusable in my testing due to the "bridged network"
>>> mishandling and its complete lack of a concept of failover for network
>>> issues, particularly pair bonding for the server itself. PXE for the
>>> clients was unusable, and it ran like a dyslexic on too many opiates,
>>> slow, twitchy, and unpredicatable.
>>
>> The UI in RHEL 5/CentOS 5 is definitely very limited, but KVM does work with
>> all these things under the hood. In particular KVM seems to run fine on top of
>> a simple host bridge, which can in turn rely on a bonded interface. I have had
>> no problems with boot support, although I confess I don't use PXE - DHCP and
>> kickstart over the LAN work fine, though.
>
> It is not merely "limited".
>
> PXE is very common for server installations of brand new hardware, or
> for remote KVM managed hardware, to avoid having to pop a CD in it.
> It's well undertood, and I got nowhere, even with it for KVM. (VMWare
> and Xen worked fine.)

interesting. I have a working home lab with KVM and I bootstrap all my
vm's from pxe, both win and lin. So I know it works fine. Not managed
from the virtual machine manager, though. Next year I will be evaluating
it, and it has better support pxe

--
natxo