Old 11-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Alexander Farber

Default How to install PHP PEAR stuff best?

Hello CentOS users,

I'm using gChartPhp by having copied it into /var/www/html dir.

It works ok, but I wonder how to better install/organize/maintain PEAR
"packages" under CentOS?

I've got the php-pecl rpm installed too, wonder if it's helpful here.
Or maybe just add a dir to php.ini?

Please share your PHP "admin" wisdom

Regards
Alex

--
Sent from my mobile device

Old 11-26-2010, 02:48 AM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Alexander Farber
<alexander.farber@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello CentOS users,
>
> I'm using gChartPhp by having copied it into /var/www/html dir.
>
> It works ok, but I wonder how to better install/organize/maintain PEAR
> "packages" under CentOS?

Review, and learn to write your own, PHP RPM's. That brings them into
the already existing dependency and update management available. You
can set "yum" to look in your local Yum repository as well for
updates.

Make sure to publish your own package updates to EPEL or RPMforge for
packages that are not part of the core, upstream RHEL distribution. I
love CentOS extas, but the updates for tools like "mock" are too out
of date to be usable for me, so I rely on EPEL and RPMforge.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Alexander Farber

Maybe I should just copy gChartPhp's files here:

# ls GChartPhp/PEAR/
gBarChart.php gMapChart.php gScatterChart.php
gChart.php gMeterChart.php gStackedBarChart.php
gConcentricPieChart.php gOverlappedBarChart.php gVennDiagram.php
gFormula.php gPie3DChart.php utility.php
gGroupedBarChart.php gPieChart.php
gLineChart.php gQRCode.php

into /usr/share/pear/PEAR?

With perl I install additional modules (those which aren't
available as rpm's yet) easily with "perl -MCpan -e shell"

But with PHP stuff I'm lost. I'm not sure if I can just copy files
into /usr/share/pear without updating some housekeeping files...

Regards
Alex

Old 11-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

Alexander Farber wrote on Fri, 26 Nov 2010 11:09:09 +0100:

> Maybe I should just copy gChartPhp's files here:

I don't quite understand your whole question. What has this to do with
PEAR? It's not a PEAR package, it's a library that's hosted on
code.google.com.

Kai

Old 11-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Alexander Farber

Hello,

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists@conactive.com> wrote:
> I don't quite understand your whole question. What has this to do with
> PEAR? It's not a PEAR package, it's a library that's hosted on code.google.com.

yes, but it has the subdir called "PEAR" in it...

If someone would ask:
"how to install a Perl module which is not available as an rpm for CentOS?"
Then I would answer:
"run perl -MCPAN -e shell and then search module, install module in there"

So I've asked here in the hope that someone administering CentOS
with many PHP libraries would share his/her tricks in doing so.

I'm sorry that it is drifting towards offtopic, I was hoping for a
short hint here

Regards
Alex

Old 11-26-2010, 02:23 PM
"Alexander Dalloz"

> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists@conactive.com>
> wrote:
>> I don't quite understand your whole question. What has this to do with
>> PEAR? It's not a PEAR package, it's a library that's hosted on
>> code.google.com.
>
> yes, but it has the subdir called "PEAR" in it...
>
> If someone would ask:
> "how to install a Perl module which is not available as an rpm for
> CentOS?"
> Then I would answer:
> "run perl -MCPAN -e shell and then search module, install module in there"

The analogon would be "pear install <packagename>"; see

http://pear.php.net/manual/de/faq.users.php

But it is discouraged to do so and for the Perl CPAN install way
documented and explained why not to run through this.

If you really can't get the Pear package you need from CentOS or any 3rd
party repository, use your testing and development system to create an RPM
your own, using the .spec from a different Pear RPM. You will certainly
benefit from this approach in the long run to administrate your systems in
the light of security and maintainability.

> So I've asked here in the hope that someone administering CentOS
> with many PHP libraries would share his/her tricks in doing so.
>
> I'm sorry that it is drifting towards offtopic, I was hoping for a
> short hint here
>
> Regards
> Alex

Alexander