Old 11-24-2010, 03:01 PM
ann kok

Default program in centos rpm

Hi all

I can't find some program eg: fping rpm in centos

1/ How can I get this program install if yum won't find it?

2/ Can I use fedora12 fping rpm to install on it?

Thank you

Old 11-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Frank Cox

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 08:01:45 -0800 (PST)
ann kok wrote:

> 1/ How can I get this program install if yum won't find it?

Generally speaking it's best to stick with rpm installs on a Centos system but
if something consists of, for example, one single executable file, then you can
just copy that anywhere that's convenient and run it from there. (Put it
in /usr/local/bin if you want multiple users to have access to it, put it into
~/bin if you just want to use it yourself. That way it's on your default path.)

> 2/ Can I use fedora12 fping rpm to install on it?

Some Fedora srpms can be recompiled for Centos. Sometimes it's a simple matter
of "rpmbuild --rebuild whatever.srpm", sometimes you have to edit the .spec
file to make it work. And sometimes it doesn't work at all, depending on other
factors like dependencies.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:27 PM
Tony Schreiner

On Nov 24, 2010, at 11:01 AM, ann kok wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I can't find some program eg: fping rpm in centos
>
> 1/ How can I get this program install if yum won't find it?
>
> 2/ Can I use fedora12 fping rpm to install on it?
>
> Thank you

the EPEL repo has fping for centos

see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

Tony