Old 11-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default New list ?

Hi,

Taking this to a new thread.

Thoughts on getting a new list started up ? Should it be
centos-sysadmin or centos-infra ? Are we going to then restrict it to
admin/infra related chatter ? in which case, does the eyeball density on
this list reduce for that sort of content ?

How about the politics and news stuff that gets posted to this list.
And how would those things be addressed with the new admin focused list ?

- KB

Old 11-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Frank Cox

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 15:47:39 +0000
Karanbir Singh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Taking this to a new thread.
>
> Thoughts on getting a new list started up ? Should it be
> centos-sysadmin or centos-infra ? Are we going to then restrict it to
> admin/infra related chatter ? in which case, does the eyeball density on
> this list reduce for that sort of content ?

The problem with starting a new list is just exactly that: You split the
audience and have less exposure on both lists. Everyone then needs to subscribe
to two lists instead of one to "keep up with stuff".

> How about the politics and news stuff that gets posted to this list.
> And how would those things be addressed with the new admin focused list ?

My personal opinion is that it's not a big deal. As with other mailing lists,
stuff I'm not interested in I simply ignore.

Even though it's not directly on-topic for this list, I personally find the WP
thread interesting. We don't need another Slashdot on a mailing list, of
course, but it's not out of hand yet in my humble opinion.

Of course, if others see a need to start another list then I'm perfectly happy
to tag along and join up with that one, too.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Keith Keller

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 03:47:39PM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> Thoughts on getting a new list started up ? Should it be
> centos-sysadmin or centos-infra ? Are we going to then restrict it to
> admin/infra related chatter ? in which case, does the eyeball density on
> this list reduce for that sort of content ?
>
> How about the politics and news stuff that gets posted to this list.
> And how would those things be addressed with the new admin focused list ?

I like the idea of a catch-all offtopic list--the objection raised that
"there exists a list where this is on-topic" means that a) one has to
find this list, b) one has to join this list, and c) one has to learn
the local conventions on this list, all before posting something you
think might be relevant. Whereas, if there is a "centos-offtopic" list
or similar, which is very likely a high proportion of centos readers,
you don't have any of these concerns (well, unless you go completely
nuts like "how do I find an S&M club in Sochi?").

Beyond that, what would the topic(s)/topic limits of the new list(s)
be? One potential proposal:

centos-admin: tech topics that are not directly related to CentOS
(Niki's Oracle Linux question would fit here)

centos-offtopic: any other random runaway threads or non-tech topics

We on the centos list need to be disciplined to move threads to the
appropriate list when they get offtopic for centos (this means not
relying on KB to intervene, but suggesting a move ourselves if we see it
before someone else does) if we do go ahead with new lists that are not
directly on-topic.

--keith

--
kkeller@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us

Old 11-24-2010, 03:31 PM
"Brunner, Brian T."

> > Thoughts on getting a new list started up ?
>
> The problem with starting a new list is just exactly that:
> You split the audience and have less exposure on both lists.
> Everyone then needs to subscribe to two lists instead of one
> to "keep up with stuff".

+1

> My personal opinion is that it's not a big deal. As with
> other mailing lists, stuff I'm not interested in I simply ignore.

+1

> Even though it's not directly on-topic for this list, I
> personally find the WP thread interesting.

+1

I am fascinated to eavesdrop on the techno-babble of fogies as old as
myself. I learned BASIC on a PDP-11/45, Fortran on a CDC 3150 (We
celebrated the day the 2nd bank of 32K of (real) core was added); my
first code-for-pay was with TECO on a PDP-10 cross-compiled to a
Rockwell 6502 target. *nostalgic sigh*.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Frank Cox

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 08:24:03 -0800
Keith Keller wrote:

> this means not
> relying on KB to intervene, but suggesting a move ourselves if we see it
> before someone else does) if we do go ahead with new lists that are not
> directly on-topic.

Then you get eighty-seven people jumping on a message saying "that's off-topic,
move it X". Which creates far more noise than the initial "offence".

Old 11-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Mathieu Baudier

Old 11-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Jerry McAllister

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 10:41:58AM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 08:24:03 -0800
> Keith Keller wrote:
>
> > this means not
> > relying on KB to intervene, but suggesting a move ourselves if we see it
> > before someone else does) if we do go ahead with new lists that are not
> > directly on-topic.
>
> Then you get eighty-seven people jumping on a message saying
> "that's off-topic, move it X".
> Which creates far more noise than the initial "offence".

Hear hear. The biggest noise on almost all lists seems to be those
complaining about someone posting OT or otherwise against their idea
of properly.

I'd rather delete 10 OT posts than 80 complaints about it being OT.
My CTS starts to act up.

////jerry

Old 11-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 24 November 2010 16:42, Mathieu Baudier <mbaudier@argeo.org> wrote:
>> My personal opinion is that it's not a big deal. *As with other mailing lists,
>> stuff I'm not interested in I simply ignore.
> +1
+1, this is not a high volume list, we can just ignore threads we're
not interested by skipping them.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 11/24/2010 05:04 PM, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
>>> My personal opinion is that it's not a big deal. As with other mailing lists,
>>> stuff I'm not interested in I simply ignore.

Are you saying that having focus and topic specific lists are not
something you agree with ? Because thats what it sounds like!

- KB

Old 11-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 24 November 2010 17:06, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> On 11/24/2010 05:04 PM, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
> Are you saying that having focus and topic specific lists are not
> something you agree with ? Because thats what it sounds like!

OK, instead of quoting other people: I think for a list with such a
low volume (comparable to some other Linux-related mailing lists),
having separate mailing lists (apart from announcements) is not
necessary.

In higher volume and lower SNR lists (can you hear me ubuntu-users
mailing list! Oh no, you can't because I've unsub'd a while ago, thx
to the SNR of zero. No signal, all noise), that's positively
beneficial.

OTOH, it's only my take on it and I'm nothing but a user of mailing
lists. In the end if there are more than one list, I'll end up
subscribing the lot so not a lot will change in my mailbox!