Old 11-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Philippe Naudin

Default CentOS 5.5: what do /etc/sysconfig/networking and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts exactly ?

Le mer 24 nov 2010 00:22:36 CET, John R Pierce a écrit:

> On 11/24/10 12:14 AM, giggzounet wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > on our cluster we have 5 network interfaces. I was surprised to discover
> > that the ifcfd-* files under /etc/sysconfig/networking and
> > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts were not the same. So I have searched a
> > little bit, but I'm now confused:
> >
> > - the files under /etc/sysconfig/networking come from system-config-network.
> > - the files under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts are read by the
> > /etc/init.d/network script and used to set up the network interfaces.
> > - I don't find where the files under /etc/sysconfig/networking are used.
> > - Does system-config-network modify the file under
> > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts too ?
> >
> > Is there someone who can enlightenment me ?
>
> take a look at /etc/rc.d/init.d/network
>
> thats the script that runs all that other stuff to fire up all the
> networking interfaces defined.
>
> its moderately complicated.

Or easier : /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt

--
Philippe Naudin

Old 11-24-2010, 11:08 AM
giggzounet

Le 24/11/2010 09:22, John R Pierce a écrit :
> On 11/24/10 12:14 AM, giggzounet wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> on our cluster we have 5 network interfaces. I was surprised to discover
>> that the ifcfd-* files under /etc/sysconfig/networking and
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts were not the same. So I have searched a
>> little bit, but I'm now confused:
>>
>> - the files under /etc/sysconfig/networking come from system-config-network.
>> - the files under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts are read by the
>> /etc/init.d/network script and used to set up the network interfaces.
>> - I don't find where the files under /etc/sysconfig/networking are used.
>> - Does system-config-network modify the file under
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts too ?
>>
>> Is there someone who can enlightenment me ?
>
> take a look at /etc/rc.d/init.d/network
>
> thats the script that runs all that other stuff to fire up all the
> networking interfaces defined.
>
> its moderately complicated.

Thx for your answer.

this script just uses /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. All my interfaces
work fine. My problem sit to understand the intereaction between
/etc/sysconfig/networking and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. When I
boot the network script read and set up my interface with the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts files. So why are there
/etc/sysconfig/networking ? how these /etc/sysconfig/networking files
are used ?

THx a lot.

Guillaume

Old 11-24-2010, 11:09 AM
giggzounet

Le 24/11/2010 10:43, Philippe Naudin a écrit :
> Le mer 24 nov 2010 00:22:36 CET, John R Pierce a écrit:
>
>> On 11/24/10 12:14 AM, giggzounet wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> on our cluster we have 5 network interfaces. I was surprised to discover
>>> that the ifcfd-* files under /etc/sysconfig/networking and
>>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts were not the same. So I have searched a
>>> little bit, but I'm now confused:
>>>
>>> - the files under /etc/sysconfig/networking come from system-config-network.
>>> - the files under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts are read by the
>>> /etc/init.d/network script and used to set up the network interfaces.
>>> - I don't find where the files under /etc/sysconfig/networking are used.
>>> - Does system-config-network modify the file under
>>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts too ?
>>>
>>> Is there someone who can enlightenment me ?
>>
>> take a look at /etc/rc.d/init.d/network
>>
>> thats the script that runs all that other stuff to fire up all the
>> networking interfaces defined.
>>
>> its moderately complicated.
>
> Or easier : /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt

great! thx

Old 11-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

giggzounet wrote:
> Le 24/11/2010 09:22, John R Pierce a écrit :
> this script just uses /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. All my interfaces
> work fine. My problem sit to understand the intereaction between
> /etc/sysconfig/networking and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. When I
> boot the network script read and set up my interface with the
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts files. So why are there
> /etc/sysconfig/networking ? how these /etc/sysconfig/networking files
> are used ?

AFAIK /etc/sysconfig/networking/* is only used by system-config-network,
you can define "profiles" and then switch from one to the other, and
system-config-network copies (or hardlinks?) the relevant parts to
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.
Note that lots of stuff in /etc/sysconfig/networking are hardlinks to
files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts or /etc (eg hosts and
resolv.conf on my system here), they're not actually different files.

Just avoid system-config-network and configure stuff yourself in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and /etc/sysconfig/network, and you'll be
fine.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Nico Kadel-Garcia

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 7:25 AM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg
<Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg@imag.fr> wrote:
> giggzounet wrote:
>> Le 24/11/2010 09:22, John R Pierce a écrit :
>> this script just uses /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. All my interfaces
>> work fine. My problem sit to understand the intereaction between
>> /etc/sysconfig/networking and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. When I
>> boot the network script read and set up my interface with the
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts files. So why are there
>> /etc/sysconfig/networking ? how these /etc/sysconfig/networking files
>> are used ?
>
> AFAIK /etc/sysconfig/networking/* is only used by system-config-network,
> you can define "profiles" and then switch from one to the other, and
> system-config-network copies (or hardlinks?) the relevant parts to
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.
> Note that lots of stuff in /etc/sysconfig/networking are hardlinks to
> files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts or /etc (eg hosts and
> resolv.conf on my system here), they're not actually different files.
>
> Just avoid system-config-network and configure stuff yourself in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and /etc/sysconfig/network, and you'll be
> fine.

And, in fact, system-config-network is quite dangerous. It's one of
numerous tools that will manipulate the network scripts, does so
inconsistently, and will overwrite legitimate stored values from the
actual /etc/sysconfig/netw-rk-scripts/ files without any way to
restore the relevant values. Pair bonding, for example, can only be
configured manually and system-config-network blows it away.

Don't use it if you can avoid it. Use netconfig (which is,
unfortunately, discarded for RHEL 6) or learn the new, bloated, and
also inconsistently managed ways of NetworkManager. (I'm not happy
about NetworkManager, but we seem to be stuck with it going forward.)

Old 11-24-2010, 01:01 PM
giggzounet

Le 24/11/2010 13:50, Nico Kadel-Garcia a écrit :
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 7:25 AM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg
> <Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg@imag.fr> wrote:
>> giggzounet wrote:
>>> Le 24/11/2010 09:22, John R Pierce a écrit :
>>> this script just uses /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. All my interfaces
>>> work fine. My problem sit to understand the intereaction between
>>> /etc/sysconfig/networking and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. When I
>>> boot the network script read and set up my interface with the
>>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts files. So why are there
>>> /etc/sysconfig/networking ? how these /etc/sysconfig/networking files
>>> are used ?
>>
>> AFAIK /etc/sysconfig/networking/* is only used by system-config-network,
>> you can define "profiles" and then switch from one to the other, and
>> system-config-network copies (or hardlinks?) the relevant parts to
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.
>> Note that lots of stuff in /etc/sysconfig/networking are hardlinks to
>> files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts or /etc (eg hosts and
>> resolv.conf on my system here), they're not actually different files.
>>
>> Just avoid system-config-network and configure stuff yourself in
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and /etc/sysconfig/network, and you'll be
>> fine.
>
> And, in fact, system-config-network is quite dangerous. It's one of
> numerous tools that will manipulate the network scripts, does so
> inconsistently, and will overwrite legitimate stored values from the
> actual /etc/sysconfig/netw-rk-scripts/ files without any way to
> restore the relevant values. Pair bonding, for example, can only be
> configured manually and system-config-network blows it away.
>
> Don't use it if you can avoid it. Use netconfig (which is,
> unfortunately, discarded for RHEL 6) or learn the new, bloated, and
> also inconsistently managed ways of NetworkManager. (I'm not happy
> about NetworkManager, but we seem to be stuck with it going forward.)

ok thx for all your answers!