-   -   slow network throughput, how to improve? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/456878-slow-network-throughput-how-improve.html)

John Hodrien 11-24-2010 07:35 AM

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> root@zaxen02.securehosting.co.za:/vm/xen/template/centos-5-x64-cpanel
> root@zaxen02.securehosting.co.za:/
> root@zaxen02.securehosting.co.za's password:
> centos-5-x64-cpanel.tar.gz
> 100% 1163MB
> 29.1MB/s 00:40

Are you using scp here? You'll find you get better throughput if you use
something else, or change the cipher to something lighter weight

jh

Rudi Ahlers 11-24-2010 07:51 AM

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 10:35 AM, John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien@leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>
>> root@zaxen02.securehosting.co.za:/vm/xen/template/centos-5-x64-cpanel
>> root@zaxen02.securehosting.co.za:/
>> root@zaxen02.securehosting.co.za's password:
>> centos-5-x64-cpanel.tar.gz
>> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *100% 1163MB
>> 29.1MB/s * 00:40
>
> Are you using scp here? *You'll find you get better throughput if you use
> something else, or change the cipher to something lighter weight
>
> jh

Yes, I used scp as a quick simple test. What would give me better
performance though?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

John Hodrien 11-24-2010 08:02 AM

slow network throughput, how to improve?

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Yes, I used scp as a quick simple test. What would give me better
> performance though?

Well, anything that doesn't encrypt would be worth a shot.

Here's a basic scp to /dev/null
scp /tmp/tempfile othermachine:/dev/null
tempfile 100% 1000MB 37.0MB/s 00:27

Compare that with reading the same file over a basic NFS mount:

$ dd if=/nfs/tempfile of=/dev/null
1048576000 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 10.3707 seconds, 101 MB/s

If you've got slow processors you'll find that scp -c blowfish is noticeably
faster, but the faster the cores are, the less you'll notice an improvement.

jh

Hakan Koseoglu 11-24-2010 11:11 AM

On 24 November 2010 08:51, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi@softdux.com> wrote:
> Yes, I used scp as a quick simple test. What would give me better
> performance though?
netcat, ftp. Anything that has low overhead (unlike encryption on a
single thread)