Old 11-24-2010, 07:14 AM
giggzounet

Default CentOS 5.5: what do /etc/sysconfig/networking and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts exactly ?

Hi,

on our cluster we have 5 network interfaces. I was surprised to discover
that the ifcfd-* files under /etc/sysconfig/networking and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts were not the same. So I have searched a
little bit, but I'm now confused:

- the files under /etc/sysconfig/networking come from system-config-network.
- the files under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts are read by the
/etc/init.d/network script and used to set up the network interfaces.
- I don't find where the files under /etc/sysconfig/networking are used.
- Does system-config-network modify the file under
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts too ?

Is there someone who can enlightenment me ?

Thx in advance,
Best regards,
Guillaume

Old 11-24-2010, 07:20 AM
Rudi Ahlers

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 10:14 AM, giggzounet <giggzounet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on our cluster we have 5 network interfaces. I was surprised to discover
> that the ifcfd-* files under /etc/sysconfig/networking and
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts were not the same. So I have searched a
> little bit, but I'm now confused:
>
> - the files under /etc/sysconfig/networking come from system-config-network.
> - the files under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts are read by the
> /etc/init.d/network script and used to set up the network interfaces.
> - I don't find where the files under /etc/sysconfig/networking are used.
> - Does system-config-network modify the file under
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts too ?
>
> Is there someone who can enlightenment me ?
>
> Thx in advance,
> Best regards,
> Guillaume

I always only use /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573
Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 11-24-2010, 07:22 AM
John R Pierce

On 11/24/10 12:14 AM, giggzounet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on our cluster we have 5 network interfaces. I was surprised to discover
> that the ifcfd-* files under /etc/sysconfig/networking and
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts were not the same. So I have searched a
> little bit, but I'm now confused:
>
> - the files under /etc/sysconfig/networking come from system-config-network.
> - the files under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts are read by the
> /etc/init.d/network script and used to set up the network interfaces.
> - I don't find where the files under /etc/sysconfig/networking are used.
> - Does system-config-network modify the file under
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts too ?
>
> Is there someone who can enlightenment me ?

take a look at /etc/rc.d/init.d/network

thats the script that runs all that other stuff to fire up all the
networking interfaces defined.

its moderately complicated.