Old 11-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Tom Brown

Default 10gig NIC - Link Delay

Hi

I am having real trouble with a new batch of Intel NIC's - We were
using another type of 10gig card and they were fine but got EOL'd from
Intel and are now using something subtly different.
I dont have all the details yet on the issue but basically there is a
major delay in when the link comes up and this is causing major issues
with PXE amongst other things. The log states this

Nov 23 23:18:53 xxx kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
Nov 23 23:19:09 xxx kernel: ixgbe: eth0 NIC Link is Up 10 Gbps, Flow
Control: RX/TX
Nov 23 23:19:09 xxx kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready

So 16 seconds for the link to come up - The only real difference
between the old card and the new is that the new seems to support FCOE
whereas the older one didnt

Has anyone got any clues as to what causes link delays?

thanks

Old 11-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Steve Thompson

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010, Tom Brown wrote:

> Has anyone got any clues as to what causes link delays?

The only time I have seen such a delay in the past was because of OSPF on
the Cisco switch it was connected to.

Steve

Old 11-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Tom Brown

> The only time I have seen such a delay in the past was because of OSPF on
> the Cisco switch it was connected to.

these are Arista DCS-7148SX's so i'll have to chat to the network
guys. On the kernel line can you state delay=x so that it waits for a
link ??

thanks

Old 11-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Philip Manuel

On 11/24/2010 09:52 AM, Tom Brown wrote:
>> The only time I have seen such a delay in the past was because of OSPF on
>> the Cisco switch it was connected to.
> these are Arista DCS-7148SX's so i'll have to chat to the network
> guys. On the kernel line can you state delay=x so that it waits for a
> link ??
>
> thanks

Tom,

I've seen these delays before on Dell switches, we had to change them to
use fastlink and it resolved the issue. Do Arista's have a similar
setting ?