Old 11-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Joseph Norris

Default Strange happening with new users and keyed access on diskless cluster

Hello to all,

I have been battling this situation now for 3 days and still have not
found a resolution. I appeal to any and all for help.

Here are the facts as far as I can tell.

1) I moved a 66 node rocks based cluster to a diskless cluster using
the latest version of Centos and all updates in place.
2) users are added with home directory mounted across the nodes on the
cluster so a user's home directory would sit on /export/home with sym
link from home on head node
3) sshkey-gen used to create public/private key in .ssh so that user
can have keyless access to all nodes, allowing sge jobs to run across nodes.

( if I have left any information out above - please let me know )

So here is the problem:

All of my current user base has had not issues what so ever with current
arrangement and up to about a month ago I could create a user, use the
the script that I have to build the keys and do an expect script out to
each node answering yes to add access to known_hosts etc....
permissions correctly set on user .ssh directory and files.

Now the problem:

I build a new user - run my script and the users when ssh c33 ( name of
a node ) gets a password challenge. I dink with the sshd_config for the
nodes and not matter what I do I keep getting the password challenge or
a permission error on publickey.

I have done the ssh -vvv c33 and get "sending packet" but no return from
openssh and then it defaults out to next method with no results.

I have checked permissions with users that have no issue and
as-far-as-I-can tell there is not issue.

Now here is the real strange thing:

I take a user that is already been on the system with no issues and
delete the .ssh directory. Then I re-run my keybuilder bash script
rebuilding the keys and setting the known_hosts and I get seamless ssh
to all nodes. With the new users in the last month, do the same thing
and I get the issues above.

I am totally confused. Has something changed with an update? Do I need
to do something different with the build of a new user that I did not
have to do before? Do I have to do something in particular with my
sshd_config file?

Please give me any and all observations - I really need to resolve this
issue.

Thanks.

--
Joseph Norris