Old 11-22-2010, 05:50 PM
John Kennedy

Default Novell sale news?

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 13:26, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:

On 11/22/2010 12:14 PM, Digimer wrote:

>> Is anyone following the news of the Novell sale and some mysterious

>> 'intellectual property assets' that were transferred to a holding

>> company controlled by Microsoft?

> I saw that, and can't help but wonder if we're in for another "SCO". =/

SCO didn't get off the ground since it was ruled that they didn't

actually own the IP in question and Novell did. *And they ran out of

money for the legal process. *This could be a very different game.

--

* *Les Mikesell

* * lesmikesell@gmail.com

My guess (and I REALLY hope I am right) is that the IP in question is related to NetWare and eDirectory. Both products (started out to be)/are better than MS products, not Linux/SUSE stuff.

--
*John Kennedy

Old 11-22-2010, 06:16 PM

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Is anyone following the news of the Novell sale and some mysterious
> 'intellectual property assets' that were transferred to a holding
> company controlled by Microsoft?

Just saw that today. I wonder if any of those assets is the superior (and
utterly badly marketed) WordPerfect.

mark

Old 11-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Barry Brimer

> Just saw that today. I wonder if any of those assets is the superior (and
> utterly badly marketed) WordPerfect.

I thought Novell sold WordPerfect to Corel a long time ago.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:42 PM

Barry Brimer wrote:
>> Just saw that today. I wonder if any of those assets is the superior
>> (and utterly badly marketed) WordPerfect.
>
> I thought Novell sold WordPerfect to Corel a long time ago.

Maybe - I've lost track. I'm still waiting for *anyone* to actually market
the damn thing - I'd *buy* it (or rather, upgrade from 6.0.c for DOS)....
I'll take it over Word *or* OO.o, any day.

mark

Old 11-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Adam Tauno Williams

On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 14:42 -0500, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Barry Brimer wrote:
> >> Just saw that today. I wonder if any of those assets is the superior
> >(and utterly badly marketed) WordPerfect.
> > I thought Novell sold WordPerfect to Corel a long time ago.
> Maybe - I've lost track. I'm still waiting for *anyone* to actually market
> the damn thing - I'd *buy* it (or rather, upgrade from 6.0.c for DOS)....
> I'll take it over Word *or* OO.o, any day.

It is nearly antique at this point.

Recent OOo has worked extremely well for me; editing complex 200+ page
documents with refereces, TOCs, & indexes. I've really become a fan of
OOo starting in the 3.2.x series.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@whitemice.org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>

Old 11-22-2010, 07:10 PM

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>> >(and utterly badly marketed) WordPerfect.
>> > I thought Novell sold WordPerfect to Corel a long time ago.
>> Maybe - I've lost track. I'm still waiting for *anyone* to actually
>> market the damn thing - I'd *buy* it (or rather, upgrade from 6.0.c for
>> DOS)....
>> I'll take it over Word *or* OO.o, any day.
>
> It is nearly antique at this point.

Why do you call it that? What features are missing (and I haven't looked
at a current copy in 10 years, btw). In general, I don't see *anything* I
couldn't have done with the one from back then.

> Recent OOo has worked extremely well for me; editing complex 200+ page
> documents with refereces, TOCs, & indexes. I've really become a fan of
> OOo starting in the 3.2.x series.

I guarantee WP 10-12 years ago could handle all that - most City of
Chicago, and I think federal contracts, used to specify that documents be
in WP format.

Besides, the files were always *much* smaller, and you could always beat
it into submission with <alt><F3>, I think it was, and the way it revealed
formatting... I was amazed that they didn't market that straight for
designing web pages. AND not a single word processor or web page building
I've seen writes them clean: both Word and OO.o write out *crap*, with
font size and font and color and every damn thing on every single line,
rather than only when something changes.

mark

Old 11-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Robert Heller

> Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> >> Maybe - I've lost track. I'm still waiting for *anyone* to actually
> >> market the damn thing - I'd *buy* it (or rather, upgrade from 6.0.c for
> >> DOS)....
> >> I'll take it over Word *or* OO.o, any day.
> >
> > It is nearly antique at this point.
> >
> Why do you call it that? What features are missing (and I haven't looked
> at a current copy in 10 years, btw). In general, I don't see *anything* I
> couldn't have done with the one from back then.
>
> > Recent OOo has worked extremely well for me; editing complex 200+ page
> > documents with refereces, TOCs, & indexes. I've really become a fan of
> > OOo starting in the 3.2.x series.
> >
> I guarantee WP 10-12 years ago could handle all that - most City of
> Chicago, and I think federal contracts, used to specify that documents be
> in WP format.
>
> Besides, the files were always *much* smaller, and you could always beat
> it into submission with <alt><F3>, I think it was, and the way it revealed
> formatting... I was amazed that they didn't market that straight for
> designing web pages. AND not a single word processor or web page building
> I've seen writes them clean: both Word and OO.o write out *crap*, with
> font size and font and color and every damn thing on every single line,
> rather than only when something changes.

And I *still* use LaTeX. *I* won't touch a "word processor" (I tried
OO *once* to create a mess-word version of my resume and it was a total
disaster). I routinely create documents with something close to 1000 pages,
with refereces, TOCs, & indexes, etc. Way back when I've created
rather large documents with LaTeX *on a 10mhz 68000* with only 1Meg (yes
*one* meg) of RAM (this was an Atari 1040ST running OS-9/68000). And a
40 *meg* hard drive. Talk about small footprint software. With
pdflatex and tex4ht I can generate PDF directly and *clean* HTML. And
both using Makefiles with automated tools. And TeX/LaTeX is open
source.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Drew

> AND not a single word processor or web page building
> I've seen writes them clean:

I beg to differ. I've used Dreamweaver for years and while I can't
speak for the latest versions, the MX version released in 2002
produced some of the cleanest (x)html I've seen. And with their tidy
command you could get the code properly indented so it became easily
readable. PHP/MySQL code otoh was brutally messy.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie

Old 11-23-2010, 01:29 AM
Michael Semcheski

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 2:42 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> I thought Novell sold WordPerfect to Corel a long time ago.

> Maybe - I've lost track. I'm still waiting for *anyone* to actually market
> the damn thing - I'd *buy* it (or rather, upgrade from 6.0.c for DOS)....
> I'll take it over Word *or* OO.o, any day.

I know that Corel is still releasing Word Perfect, and its still a
very good product. Latest version is 14, I think. Its just fine.
Still has "Reveal Codes", works with Word, OO, and PDF files.

Windows only, unfortunately.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:57 AM
"John R. Dennison"

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 09:29:12PM -0500, Michael Semcheski wrote:

> Windows only, unfortunately.

When did they stop publishing *nix versions? I worked
extensively with that monstrosity 15-16 years ago on
SCO / MWC Coherent.

John

--
The nuclear arms race is like two sworn enemies standing waist deep in
gasoline, one with three matches, the other with five.

-- Carl Sagan (1934-1996), astronomer and writer, debate transcript with
William F. Buckley, aired after the first showing of the ABC TV movie
"The Day After", November 20, 1983