Old 11-22-2010, 05:19 PM
John Hodrien

Default Router for SOHO network - hardware considerations

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010, Bob Puff@NLE wrote:

> I am looking for something similar to this thread.. Is there a way to
> make a small CentOS distro that is bootable and runnable from only a
> USB memory stick? It would need to be able to have files modified, but
> I wouldn't want the USB stick to die prematurely due to a ton of writes...

Lookup stateless linux. Very easy to get a read-only root CentOS going, with
writable regions or not to taste.

jh

Old 11-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Niki Kovacs

Blake Hudson a écrit :
>> Is there anything you could especially recommend for this job? (I'm not
>> afraid of getting my hands dirty, BTW D)
>>

> +1 for Linksys WRT54GL and tomato firmware
> +1 for pfsense (or monowall) on a small server

Thanks for the many answers in this thread. I'm not a native speaker, so
one more question. Does "tomato" firmware mean the original firmware as
installed by Linksys, or some third-party firmware like OpenWRT and DD-WRT?

Cheers,

Niki

Old 11-22-2010, 08:56 PM
John R Pierce

On 11/22/10 12:48 PM, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Blake Hudson a écrit :
>>> Is there anything you could especially recommend for this job? (I'm not
>>> afraid of getting my hands dirty, BTW D)
>>>
>> +1 for Linksys WRT54GL and tomato firmware
>> +1 for pfsense (or monowall) on a small server
>>

> Thanks for the many answers in this thread. I'm not a native speaker, so
> one more question. Does "tomato" firmware mean the original firmware as
> installed by Linksys, or some third-party firmware like OpenWRT and DD-WRT?

Tomato is another 3rd party firmware. it only runs on 'classic' WRT54G*
whereas dd-wrt runs on a wider range. Tomato has a cleaner user
interface, quite good QoS ('traffic shaping') features, and is always
free, while the DD-Wrt project manager took DD-Wrt partially
proprietary, to the annoyance of a lot of the contributors who
understood it to be GPL.

pfSense is still my favorite choice, running on a low power miniboard
like the ALIX or various Atom mini-systems.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:56 PM

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Blake Hudson a écrit :
>>> Is there anything you could especially recommend for this job? (I'm not
>>> afraid of getting my hands dirty, BTW D)
>>>
>> +1 for Linksys WRT54GL and tomato firmware
>> +1 for pfsense (or monowall) on a small server
>
> Thanks for the many answers in this thread. I'm not a native speaker, so
> one more question. Does "tomato" firmware mean the original firmware as
> installed by Linksys, or some third-party firmware like OpenWRT and
> DD-WRT?

Third party. I have friends who swear by it.
<http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato> is the first hit when you google tomato
wrt54gl

mark

Old 11-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Tom Bishop

It depends on what hardware you have available and what all you would
like to play with...I run both tomato and pfsense and both are great
products but both serve a particular setting...I use tomato for AP's
primarily but also use it for a soho router much better than
linksys...but if you want more routing functionality/security like
openvpn and more available packages to play with then pfsense is a
good choice...if you want or need more filtering capabilities then you
could also look at untangle (much more hardware intensive) or
endian...I have used/using all of the above...all of them have
advantages and tradeoffs just depends on what your requirements are...

Old 11-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Todd Edwards

On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 10:09 -0800, Blake Hudson wrote:
<SNIP>

> +1 for Linksys WRT54GL and tomato firmware
> +1 for pfsense (or monowall) on a small server

<SNIP>

I love my ASUS RT-N16 running DD-WRT although I have heard from friends
that tomato is superior. With a 480mhz processor, 128mb of ram, and 32mb
of flash its a beastly little residential router with the right software
running on it. I haven't touched it since I set it up other than to
upgrade to the latest DD-WRT. My wife's TV obsession combined with my
torrent traffic has made my life miserable with more than one router
running a proprietary firmware.

Unfortunately I don't have any numbers as to how much traffic this thing
can actually handle, but I can only assume that it's much higher than
the Linksys models with lower specifications. DD-WRT gives me all the
control I need over my home network, but it certainly wouldn't be enough
for all situations.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N16#Specs_:

root@AsusRT-N16:~# uptime
20:16:50 up 102 days, 23:37, load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00

root@AsusRT-N16:/proc# cat cpuinfo
system type : Broadcom BCM4716 chip rev 1
processor : 0
cpu model : MIPS 74K V4.0
BogoMIPS : 239.20
wait instruction : no
microsecond timers : yes
tlb_entries : 64
extra interrupt vector : no
hardware watchpoint : yes
ASEs implemented : mips16 dsp
shadow register sets : 1
VCED exceptions : not available
VCEI exceptions : not available

dcache hits : 2147483648
dcache misses : 3732208860
icache hits : 2147483648
icache misses : 4277960450
instructions : 2147483648

root@AsusRT-N16:/proc# cat meminfo
total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
Mem: 127946752 17866752 110080000 0 1900544 6295552
Swap: 0 0 0
MemTotal: 124948 kB
MemFree: 107500 kB
MemShared: 0 kB
Buffers: 1856 kB
Cached: 6148 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 1751 kB
Inactive: 729 kB
HighTotal: 0 kB
HighFree: 0 kB
LowTotal: 124948 kB
LowFree: 107500 kB
SwapTotal: 0 kB
SwapFree: 0 kB
Dirty: 0 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
Mapped: 364 kB
Slab: 178 kB
CommitLimit: 62472 kB
Committed_AS: 4344 kB
PageTables: 2001 kB
VmallocTotal: 786388 kB
VmallocUsed: 40 kB
VmallocChunk: 786332 kB

--

Todd Edwards

Old 11-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Lorenzo Quatrini

Niki Kovacs ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> Last week I finished installing a small network in a private school :
> one server (an old IBM X225), seventeen desktops (Fujitsu Siemens PIV
> 2.4 GHZ, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HD), all running CentOS 5.5.
>
> One extra machine is acting as a router, in that it is installed between
> the DSL modem and the network, with two Ethernet cards, and it's taking
> care of DHCP, DNS, NTP and also acts like a proxy (with Squid). It seems
> quite big and noisy and electricity-consuming to me, so I wonder if
> there is any small device that could possibly do the job as good, but
> which would me more adapted : small, solid and cheap (if possible). I
> imagine some tiny box just with a CPU and a small harddisk, a little RAM
> and two network interfaces (one out, one in), where I could install a
> very stripped-down CentOS, and then just forget about it.
>
> So far, I've googled a bit, and I've found two things: 1) Pyramid
> Soekris boards, where I can put something like Pyramid Linux on it. And
> 2) The Linksys WRT54GL, for which there are Linux firmwares like OpenWRT
> and DD-WRT.
>
> Is there anything you could especially recommend for this job? (I'm not
> afraid of getting my hands dirty, BTW D)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Niki

Hi Niki,
I would like to suggest the Tp-Link TL-WR1043ND; it could be a little more
expensive than the Linksys, but it has a more powerful cpu, more ram and an usb
port (and more or less same power consumption) for around 50 Euros.

I'm using it with the original firmware, and I tested OpenWRT on it; next I
will try endian, but I have to say that I'm very satisfied with it and I would
recomend it: the system is fast and responsive, and the usb port adds really a
lot of flexibility (eg. file sharing, usb dongle backup, squid with cache and
so on...).

HTH
Regards
Lorenzo